Thursday, May 27, 2010

If You Change the Way You Look at Things....

Someone told me recently that they thought I have changed. This idea of change has been bouncing around in my brain ever since. Have I changed? I spoke to my husband about it. We do not think so. Today one of my favorite blogs, Our Life In Words, posted a quote by Albert Einstein: If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. This one sentence sums up how I have changed, or not changed.

I am still the same person. I have had issues with public schools, despite being a teacher with a M.A. in Elementary Education, even while I was teaching. This is no surprise. I have talked about homeschooling for five years but I was never taken seriously, or maybe I never took my ability to homeschool seriously.

I changed the way I look at things in my life. If I don’t like it, I no longer have to accept it. I have heard it said that your 40’s are the greatest decade because you have finally figured out who you are and as a result, you finally get to enjoy yourself. My thirties were a time of building a family, constructing our home in which to house this family, and creating family ties to school, friends, neighbors and community. Now that I am close to 40, I have my family and I like our family. I love our home. I love my neighborhood and for the most part I love our neighbors. I am blessed. I have made one big change in my life - homeschooling my two daughters. This does not change who I am, but it changes how I look at education and learning and life in general.

As a result, things around me have changed. I went from having just one true friend who has known me and accepted who I am for the past fifteen years to having a new community of real friends. The women I have met over the past six months are creative, kind, caring, honest people. I choose to be their friend and at times I am honored that they chose to welcome me into their circle.

Through them I am finding new interests. I have learned to knit. I am learning what homeopathy is. I have tried kombucha and liked it! I have discovered a passion for farm fresh eggs, an interest in vermiculture and desire to garden.

Is this wrong? Is this a bad change? Some think it is. I don’t. My husband, who is my true best friend does not. He feels I have finally become the person I have wanted to be for so long. I feel like the little girl in the latest youtube video affirming my life. Like her, I like me, I like my house, I like my kids, I like my dogs, I like my family, I like my friends, I like my husband, I can do anything I set my mind to, I can be a homeschooling mom, I can learn new things, I can meet new people, I can discover new talents, I can strive to be better, I can change, or not.



1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog!

    My mom used to have a poster in her office that said: It is only through change that we grow!

    I think that is so true! We need to be open to new things, we are always evolving. It is so wonderful that you are finding these new paths, and opening new doors for your family at the same time! I think that is what life is all about!

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...