Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day 2

I am loving our new upstairs arrangement. The “lounge” is such a relaxing, naturally lit, peaceful place to read, work on the computer, watch frogs and learn. Everything has a home now and cleaning up after lessons is a breeze.

Today was day 2 of our summer-term lessons and even with a lightened schedule we are accomplishing many things. Lilah learned how to do three digit addition and has completed two lessons in her Singapore Math workbook. Grace is working out of a 4th grade enrichment program and today we all learned what a nomograph is. Well.....we learned what one looks like. We tried to google it but the definitions were so technical I could not understand it, let alone explain it to a nine year old! Grace has made a new blog entry and is typing her third. They have both made journal entries. Grace finished a book, The Fairy’s Mistake and is working on finishing Where I’d Like To Be. This was huge. She was so happy to just be able to finish a book. We are putting The Year Of Unfinished Work behind us forever. Lilah has begun Julia Gillian, a challenging book for her, but one with a great message.

Lilah has been very upset by the oil spill. We cannot watch the news. She is terrified it will make its way up the east coast and settle in Long Island Sound. I reassure her that people are working to stop this from happening but for now, we keep the news off so she does not see oil soaked birds and reports of dead sea turtles. It is too much for even me. Anyway....the point of Julia Gillian is that there are things in the world that are upsetting. We can run from them and hide or we can face our fears, live our lives and look for the positives in the world. I think she needs to hear this message over and over again.

I am enjoying this introduction to homeschooling two children. I can see we will have challenges, good days and bad but I love being with my girls. I love eating lunch together, reading together, watching them work, listening to them play, hearing their laughter (and the arguments, which thankfully are not frequent these days) and growing with them. I still have things to figure out, especially for Grace (reading and math) but I will figure those areas out. I have to trust in my abilities and follow my heart. I am thankful every single day for this opportunity.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I hear the peace and happiness in your posts! I can tell that your heart feels like you are exactly where you are meant to be!

    I am going to put a hold on Julia Gillian!

    We try to avoid too much news of the oil spill, as well. It is upsetting and infuriating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica,

    Sounds like you have an exciting new journey ahead of you!! From all of the friends I have that homeschool, I know it to be nothing but a great experience for everyone. Enjoy! :)

    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...