Monday, February 21, 2011

Monocots/Dicots and O'Keefe

Today was not science day but it turned out to be!  It felt so good to do our lessons once again at our dining room table which was moved out of the living room on Sunday.  For the most part our kitchen is done and life is slowly returning to what we consider normal.
Today is language arts day.  Grace wrote another essay comparing Strega Nona to The Sorcerer’s Apprentice.  Essay writing suits her.  I gave her my piece of writing as a model and even though she used it for reference, her piece of writing in no way resembled mine.  Lilah also compared the two but not in essay format.  We copied poetry and illustrated the poems for our journals.  We even planned the beach clean up that Grace suggested in her last blog entry.   Next came math.  There was a bit of grumbling but they logged on and Grace had an introduction to decimals and Lilah was introduced to parallel and perpendicular lines.  It was a productive morning for sure.
During lunch I told the girls I wanted to read them two pages of botany.  This week we are beginning chapter 3; Flowers.  On Friday we are going to the Connecticut Flower and Garden Show in Hartford where thousands of flowers will be on display.  I want to finish the reading and dissect a flower before the trip.  Their eyes glazed over when I taught them about monocots and dicots.  I found it very interesting.  I thought they would too.  I went downstairs and magically was able to put my hands on a flower catalog that has been in my basement for eons.  Then their eyes lit up.  They pointed out monocots, they searched for dicots.  Next came the scissors, then the journals, followed by glue.  Collages were made.  The knowledge was cemented in their brains.
Grace's journal

Following their momentum, I pulled out my coffee table book on Georgia O’Keeffe.  I showed them some of my favorite paintings of flowers in bright reds and oranges.  I love her style of examining the subject close.  Lilah was inspired to draw and began to copy the style of drawing.  She has never used oil paints before and I think this will be the perfect piece to introduce them!
Georgia's 

Lilah's
What was supposed to be a two page quick read “bloomed” into a two hour exploration of flowers and artists.  
The coolness of this learning never gets old!

5 comments:

  1. Love this. O'Keefe's flowers are my favorite too...my first set of prints I ever bought at an art museum:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Jessica—the journey you all took, from reading 2 pages to it all coming alive for everyone through images, and talking, more books, and art… ah, yum! Those are my favourite journeys too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome day! I love your creativity and how you integrated art. I am thinking about Apologia botany now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is fantastic!! I am so impressed!! What a great way to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on getting listed as a Top 50 Homeschool Blog!! Way to go and keep up the good work!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...