Sunday, March 27, 2011

Road-Schooling II

So glad to be here.  I have to say it was the easiest drive, with no road stress until we hit Gary, IN.  Then we had to deal with traffic, switching highways and a few crazy drivers.  Through it all the girls were amazing.  We watched the changing landscape, trading the rolling hills of PA in for the flat farmland of OH.  I have never been west of PA in a car.  Just this weekend I realized how sad this is.  I have never driven through our amazing country.  Even through my girls are still young and I still get the occasional, bored cry, I think they will remember this trip always.  They saw their first freight train (we see many Amtrack and Metro North trains daily, but never freight).  We were amazed at how long they are!  We saw what looked like a bison farm.  I can’t confirm this, but the animals certainly did not look like cows!  We saw a gorgeous farm filled with various fruit trees.  It made me want to pull off the highway and wander through the countryside asking the questions that were inside my head.
Ohio has the best rest areas ever!


I am thoroughly enjoying this time with my girls.  I marvel at mature they can be.  They received a compliment from the hotel staff for their behavior at breakfast.  Last night at dinner my friend served delicious gluten-free meatballs and pasta.  Normally my girls don’t like the sauce but they did not complain, they ate it graciously!  I was so proud of their manners and their willingness to step out of their comfort zone.  
Lilah wants our next trip to be to Niagara Falls.  I told her we can make this happen.  Only we will wander.  If I see a tourist trap or a sign for an interesting restaurant, I want to stop.  I think it will be easier to do that on shorter trips, especially if Greg is with us.  I could not do it on this trip because I wanted to be at our destinations before nightfall.  
freezing cold in IN but we are still silly!


Now we are here and our adventure will continue.......the girls love reconnecting with their friend and I am having the time of my life with my friend’s adorable three year old son.  I could just take him home with me!

4 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you and so happy that you arrived safely.

    Sounds like you are having an amazing time! YAY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great!! One of the reasons we bought the Prius is because in the next couple of years we would like to drive across country. I have never driven west of PA either! We just read about the various settlers to North America in Story of the World and the areas where they settled, how they lived. I really want to see how our country goes from hills to fields to pastures to the badlands to the desert. How amazing--think of all we would all learn. That would really cement it all in.

    Niagara Falls is just under 2 hours from my parents' lakehouse. We are considering a week at the lake with a mid-week trip to Niagara this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on getting there safely and with maximum JOY! Your road trip looked so fun. I have driven all around the US once, and partway around the US once. Both trips were magical. Now I just have to do that in my own country with my inquisitive, hungry-to-see, hungry-to-have-adventures kids! You have inspired me, Jessica—I am itching to do a road trip now!

    I hope you have a wonderful visit with your friend. I can't wait to see more pics and hear more about your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! How exciting. I LOVE LOVE LOVE those pictures full of joy! Have fun lovelies xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...