Saturday, September 10, 2011

Binomial nomenclature

After the best dinner of spaghetti and meatballs and garlic bread (you need comfort food after a day in and on the sea) we headed to the classroom.
Once thing I loved and completely appreciated was the preparation the instructors put into every activity we participated in.  There was no last minute running around, no forgotten supplies, no delays. They are on the ball in a way I fear I will never be!

Upon our arrival into the observation lab, the specimens from our two activities were placed in petri dishes, bowls and tanks at the tables.  Microscopes were set up and at each station was a field guide.  Can you guess what we were about to do?  


Binomial nomenclature.  It made me giddy  just hearing the words.  The girls and I discussed this in our first Botany lesson! Love Love Love it when connections are made.  



You would think that this task would be challenging or boring for six children ranging in age from 6 to 11 but you would be wrong.  They took up the challenge to see how quickly they could fill in the chart on the white board.  



I gladly let Greg take the reigns on this activity and I spent some time with my long neglected nature journal.  



Everything we did on this adventure required group participation.  Because we had used the lab, we had to assist in cleaning it.  Why can’t my girls be so enthusiastic about wiping down our table??  


The Marine Science Consortium has homeschool weeks.  Both the September and October weeks are full.  In this class we would have tested the water and conducted more scientific experiments.  I would love for my girls to build on the knowledge they gained this weekend with a more in-depth excursion.  I know they are not ready for a sleep-away situation, but if parents are able to stay on site with their children during a homeschool week, I would sign us up!  But not in the summer....it would have to be in early spring or fall when the Virginia sun is not so hot!




Did you know that MamaK is also posting her adventure over at Frog Creek?  If you have not checked it out, you should!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...