Friday, October 7, 2011

Homemade Deodorant Tutorial


I can’t remember the last time I bought deodorant from a store.  It has been at least six months.  While this may seem like a little thing, a maybe a tad bit personal, I wanted to share it because it is one of the greatest things I have discovered.
YOU DON’T HAVE TO BUY DEODORANT. 
You don’t have to put a HEAVY METAL on skin centimeters away from your lymph nodes.  
I did not want my daughters growing up with the brand name deodorants, even those with minimal aluminum.  And frankly, we could not find an all natural brand that worked well for the cost.  
Then I discovered Jenn’s post about making your own deodorant.  I have learned that you can twist and tweak a recipe to make it fit for your own unique body's needs.  
Here is my very first tutorial on this blog........
How to Make Your Own All-Natural Deodorant. 
Purchase a quality Coconut Oil.  Coconut oil is solid at temperatures below 76 degrees.  If you are making this now, you will have to melt your oil over low heat. Scoop out slightly less than what will fill your container.


As the oil melts, mix arrowroot and Baking Soda in a 3-1 ratio.  For this size container I use three tablespoons arrowroot and 1 tablespoon baking soda.  (If you want a stronger deodorant, you can try a 1-1 ratio, but I found the baking soda too irritating)  If I were filling a mason jar, I would double the number of tablespoons since the amount of oil would be doubled.  Mix well.  


Pour the melted oil into the dry mixture.  Mix well. Often I use lavender essential oil or tea tree essential oil.  These are both antiseptic.  You can also use lemon or your favorite fragrance oil.



Pour into your container (I recycle empty Trader Joe's facial wipes containers). As the oil solidifies, continue mixing periodically so the solids do not settle on the bottom of the container. 



This has been the best deodorant I have ever used.  The true test was during the heat wave this summer with temperatures reaching above 100 degrees.  Not once did I need to reapply!


  
This is something that I can feel good about my daughter’s using as they grow into adolescence.  Thank you Jenn for sharing this with me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...