Thursday, February 2, 2012

Thankful Thursday

It seems I just close my eyes and suddenly I am being roused from my sleep by Greg.  Against every impulse I have, I swing my legs out from under my warm fleece sheets and hit the cold hard wood floor.  Another day.  Each is a gift.  We have the opportunity each time we wake to make the most of our day.
I have been trying so hard to make the most of mine.  
5:30am wake up has been the best thing I have done for myself and my family.  What I have accomplished in two weeks has been remarkable.  My house is clean.  My laundry is current.  My piles are diminishing.  At this moment, my house is not causing me stress.  That is my motivator to say hello to a new day when it is still very very dark outside.  The few minutes I get to chat with my husband is really nice too!
Come 8:00 I am tired.  I was falling asleep on the couch.  The girls were watching television.  Bedtime was getting later and later.  Arguing in the bathroom, tears at tuck in.  That is not how I want my family to feel before closing their eyes on their day.  We have gone back to the “no technology after 6:00pm” rule.  I guess we did not stick with it long enough to become a habit since it was so easy to slip into our old habits.  There is something about television and my children that does not click.  It is fine during the day but at night it is stimulating and causes stress and anxiety, even the educational shows.  Having a quiet home at night, with children reading, or drawing, or playing in their rooms is far preferable.  Having a peaceful bedtime last night was proof that it works for us.
I am back on my green smoothie kick.  I thought that this was a habit as well.  I drank them daily for months.  Then suddenly, I stopped making the time for myself and my girls.  My blender was still.  My juicer lonely.  I feel better when I nourish my body.  The amount of kale and spinach I drink far exceeds the amount I would ever eat.  I am now juicing and blending every day.  I owe myself this gift of health.  I am thankful that I have found something that makes me feel good.  A happy, healthy Mom is much preferable over a tired, cranky, crabby one!
I am doing something else for myself.  Something I have wanted to do for a very long time.  I have picked up a book that will take me an entire year to read.  That is a lofty goal!  All I have to do is read a few pages every day.  My Aunt gave me this book over a year ago.  I have picked it up, put it down, moved it from shelf to shelf.  Last week I had a great conversation with my Sunday School class.  This year my class is small, just 4 fifth grade boys.  Last week all they wanted to talk about was football and the Giants.  First of all, we had work to do.  Secondly, I am a Patriots fan!  I kept the talk focused on football but turned their attention to Tim Tebow.  Yes.....I am still quite smitten with him.  No....my shirt has not come yet (but it should this week).  We talked about the story behind his eye black.  We looked up John 3:16.  I pulled out my phone and googled Tim Tebow Eye Black and found more examples of scripture passages.  We looked up EPH. 8 -10.  We talked about why he may have chosen these passages.  We talked about using fame and celebrity to inspire and promote charity.  We discussed the misconception that Tim prays to God for success, when in reality he is praying to God thankful for the success he has had.  
Anyway.....I totally digress.  In the same way that Tim’s eye black inspired the boys to think of the Bible as “cool”, he inspired me to actually READ it.  I never knew that Cain and Able were the children of Adam?  How could I not know this?  I love reading the Old Testament and actually understanding the geography of the region.  Ur?  Sure, I know where that was.  Babel?  Yup.  We covered that too.  Story of the World rocks.  Little by little, I am going to make my way through this project.  I love that this version of the Bible links the stories so that it is actually a story rather than writings from different people from different times about different topics.  I wish I picked it up sooner!
These are some things I am thankful for this week.  My days are going by fast.  My nights...even faster!  I have so much to be thankful for.  It is good to keep those things close to my heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...