Thursday, August 30, 2012

Unless...


Looking back over the summer months the one activity that stands out has been art journaling.  We have reached a point where art and life are one.  Our back room transformation from family room to art studio was simply brilliant.  I can never thank Greg enough for always saying yes to my spontaneous ideas.  His “yes!” coupled with a small investment in furniture from IKEA, transformed my home.
When friends come over, they take out their journals.  We have worked with many different mediums this summer: gesso, Modge Podge, oil pastel, watercolor, acrylic, tempera, colored pencil and ink.  There is always a project out drying, or waiting for a new layer to be added or for words to appear.  
One of my favorite pages was from my most recent session.  Huckleberry Hill Project is on my mind.  The childrens' projects are unified by the common theme of making the world a better place.  Of course this reminds me of one of my favorite books, Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax.

I took a quote “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it’s not.”.  The rest was up to them.  I asked them to think about the following possible writing topics:
  • What do we need...really need?  How few/many things?
  • How are you caring for our Earth?
  • What change do you want to make?
  • How do you care?  Why do you care?

We used permanent marker and oil pastel.  We blended with Q-Tips.  We referenced the book for drawing tips and color palates.  We discussed becoming a children’s book illustrator, or illustrating your own books.  The children thought that combining a talent, craft, skill and passion would be a wonderful way to live your life.  You could have the flexibility to work your own schedule, anywhere, at any time. 
Of course, this got my brain spinning.  I asked them if they would like me to try to find an author/illustrator that we could talk to.  I am working on making that happen now....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...