Thursday, November 15, 2012

Back on the ice


We have not been on the ice for over a year.  First there was this in September 2011.....

And then this in November 2011......

Both were very nasty injuries.  They kept us away from something that we love very much.  My girls have grown up on the ice.  As soon as Grace stepped onto the ice her face lit up with joy. The twists were not forgotten, the jumps came back.  As usual, she was the first one on and the last one off.

Lilah asked about lessons.....oh boy.  Are we going to go down that road again?  I was not blogging when Grace was entrenched in her skating lessons, spending hours and hours in lessons, in practice, in rehearsals.  Spending hours and hours in the car.  Perhaps Lilah can do a learn to skate program here at our favorite rink, to brush up on the skills that I taught her.  She has the potential to be a beautiful skater....

The absolute best part of our skating time is that we have the opportunity to go when the rest of the world is either in school or at work.  There is nothing like stepping onto a freshly zambonied, completely empty rink.  Then your friends arrive and it becomes a skating party.  90 minutes of exercise, of play, of being completely and totally alive.  

Yeah...we can’t wait to go back!

9 comments:

  1. I remember you mentioning before how time consuming ice skating was. I hope that Lilah can find the instruction she needs without having to stress you out! The pictures of the girls on ice are gorgeous Jess. I am not an ice skater and Keilee has only been a handful of times but she loves it. Our HS group has an ice skate day twice a month. You have inspired me to take her to the next one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't go down that road again. If she wants lessons there are three ice rinks within 10 miles of us that all offer lessons. I am not going to drive 90 min to be at an Olympic Training Facility. That is not a priority anymore. Now we skate for fun and she can improve her skills while having fun right here at our favorite rink.

      Have fun skating. This was the first time I have been active since hurting my leg in TN six months ago. I was so glad I could skate and not have it hurt!

      Delete
  2. Fun! I know how much your girls love this, it feeds their happy place. I bet you all had a blast. So I say skate more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to try to make a goal of every other week.........Hopefully Grace's new skates will last more than the season. The ones I bought her right before she sprained her ankle now fit Lilah!

      Delete
    2. Isn't it crazy how fast their feet grow!? Kaya's snow boots last year were a size 3. This year he wears a size 6/7. What!?!

      Delete
  3. My hope is to get my girls on the ice for the first time this year (along with getting them on the slopes too)! I haven't skated in years though have so many great memories of pond skating from growing up in Bethany! Nothing like seeing cows out in the field while you skate! Does it get any more New Englandy than that!? :)

    So glad that ya'll are back on the ice! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just make sure they wear a helmet! I think ice skating is a perfect activity....it is physical, artistic, meditative and expressive. My girls have been skating since they could walk. I grew up on a pond in Worcester and my fondest memories are rushing out of school to get my skates so we could argue with the boys over room on the pond for hockey vs. skating........

      Enjoy!!!!!

      Delete
  4. I don't think I have ever seen Grace on skates before! It definitely looks like she owns the rink! It is a great thing to be doing in the winter. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is her favorite thing to do. Nothing makes her happier then when she is on the ice.......
      We used to skate year round as a family and we just got away from it. I love that we are making a commitment to pursuing something that brings us all joy.

      Delete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...