Saturday, November 3, 2012

Just a Few More Days


I have never been, nor have I ever pretended to be an adventurist.  Over the past few years I have moved towards a place of increased self-sufficiency, but I rely heavily on the grid.  I like hot showers, to read by lamplight, to cook indoors and radiator heat.  I like blogging and I like my eBooks.  I can’t even pretend to have a “this will be fun!” attitude when it comes to a prolonged absence of power.  

At the same time, I reflect on a talk I attended last year around this time given by Two Coyotes Wilderness School that focuses on strong neighborhoods and restoring the connections that some of us have lost with our neighbors.  The talk was given just after the Halloween Blizzard of last year and someone shared they saw a sign on their neighbors lawn reading “Where is our Power?”  

When I want to complain and I find myself getting snipish with Greg or the girls I ask myself, “where is my power?”  Is it with United Illuminating or is it within myself?  Can I be the Mom I want to be in a time of hardship?  Yes, I can.  But for me, it is a challenge.
I want to curl up on the couch wrapped in a comforter reading a book.  I want to sleep in late.  I want to stoke the fire and knit in my rocking chair.  Instead I have to brew my coffee on the camp stove, heat up dinner on the fireplace cook top, and read by flashlight.  Instead I force myself up and do my best to make a healthy nutritious meal for my family and my neighbors.  

At least for now I have Greg at home to help but I am dreading the day that the trains are up and running and he goes back to work, to a well lit office, with a Keurig, wireless access and telephones.  Yes, he is working, but still......don’t judge me for wanting the trains to stay down just a few more days.

11 comments:

  1. I don't blame you at all! It might be a novelty to "camp out" for a few days, but I'd be missing my lights and power, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny that our overnight camp out last summer taught us a few things that made this week easier! Once we had the generator it was really not that bad, just inconvenient. I am glad we have electricity now that the weather has once again taken a turn and it is much colder.

      Delete
  2. Wow , I didn't realize it was that bad. Hope you make it through the last stretch OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be so much worse! I really have no right to complain. We only went 4 days without power. Other areas south of here are still out. One day or 10, to live comfortable without electricity takes planning and foresight. It is a way of life that we are not used to. Grace was actually sad to see the power come back on. I never would have thought she would enjoy the slower pace as much as she did!

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry you have been going through this, but I love the positive spin you put on the situation and I am thankful you're O.K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The parents have to be strong so the kids can follow along. Plus I was caring for my next door neighbors who are in their 80s. We did what we had to do. We saw very little television but what I was able to see of NJ showed me that I am very blessed that all we lost was electricity. People that my husband knows lost their homes.

      Delete
  4. Even though loss of power is a pain, there are so many silver linings! However, there is that huge whoop! when the power starts back up! I am all for roughing it when you have to, but not a second more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will gladly take my wireless access and push button coffee brewing! But I did like the early bedtimes, the quiet and stillness and the peace those two things bring!

      Delete
  5. Your girls will always remember this experience and learn great things from it. Still I know it's no fun! :) I am glad you are all ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would not have been at all happy to have our power out for that long either! I'm glad it's back on for you now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We already talked about this Jess. It is fun and fine for a day or two but no longer. Even when you go camping you have electricity if you desire and hot showers. When we were w/o power, the bad part was, EVERYONE was without power. There was nowhere to go that did have it. I am with Tereza, the girls will always remember this. They look like they are having fun in spite of everything.

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...