Saturday, December 29, 2012

Coincidence? Maybe not.


“Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing, 
some people have entertained angels without knowing it.”  
Hebrews 13:2

A week before Christmas I was having tea with my friend Monica.  We were warming ourselves in front of a fire when the doorbell rang.  It was mid-day.  The girls were playing upstairs lost in a world of Playmobile.  I was not expecting anyone.  
Parked across the street was a pick up truck, and standing in front of me was a man, asking if I would like him to work on our yard.  It was not hard to tell why he picked our yard.  We never did a fall clean up.  Dried leaves lined our fence and gathered at the bottom of our stairs. Our holly bush had one lone branch stretching towards the gutter.  Our lilac was unruly and overgrown.  It was not that we did not want to fix up the yard, but with Greg traveling and working extra long hours, our weekend time became extra precious.  Spending half a day doing yard work simply was not a priority.  
I asked him to wait a moment while I ran inside to gather my thoughts.  Should I ask him to do the work?  It would be a great gift to Greg.  Should I trust this stranger?  After a few moments of talking with Monica I decided that yes, I should.  She helped me communicate what would be done and a fair price since Spanish is her primary language. Coincidence?  Maybe.  I happened to have cash on hand, left over from the money we took out in preparation for Hurricane Sandy.  I never have cash on hand.  Coincidence?  Maybe.
In two short hours, my yard was cleaned of all leaves, the lilac, holly and boxwoods were trimmed, and the bags lined my driveway.  Greg noticed as soon as he pulled in from work at 9:00pm.  It was an early Christmas gift. He was very pleased not only with how great our yard looked, but that he did not have to do it this year!  I have Guillermo’s card tucked away for the spring time, when another clean up will be needed.
This is an ordinary story, but the part of this story that I have told to just one other person (who happened to almost drop the phone laughing -- at me.....) was that I felt compelled to let this stranger who knocked upon my door looking for work in.  In my heart I felt a parallel to Joseph knocking on the doors looking for shelter and being turned away until he finally found refuge in a manger.  I could not turn this man away.  Not a week before Christmas.  Not when I felt compelled to trust.  Coincidence?  Maybe......but maybe not.

6 comments:

  1. How awesome is that? I love it when that happens, everybody benefits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a little upset that someone laughed at you for this. I think it is wonderful that you let this person in. Who knows how you may have blessed him? Maybe he needed that cash for Christmas gifts for his own family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa! She meant no harm. She just found it funny that I would take an ordinary event and relate it to something in our faith. It may be a stretch but I really felt this way. I was not going to blog it but I want it to be in my 2012 book because someday this may be forgotten and I want to remember it.

      Delete
    2. I think blogging about it is the perfect way to remember it. The blog is for you and your family as a journal/scrapbook. If other people read your thoughts- great! But it should be a place for you to record all of your memories, no matter how ordinary they may seem.

      Delete
  3. I love this story Jess. If I have learned anything the past few months, I have learned that we are all connected by together by the human spirit and we must help each other. I love that you "trusted"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these kinds of stories!! God bless you for listening to the prompting of the Holy Spirit!

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

CT Art Trail Adventures #3 - Florence Griswold Museum

I find it interesting that even parents who have been homeschooling a long time slip into the mindset that learning comes from books ...