Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Gratitude #3

So much goodness is happening around here that I have to stop for a moment and appreciate it.  

We met with our Naturopathic doctor last week for a check up.  Having her come into our lives has been such a blessing.  Through her I have found the right balance of supplements, herbs and homeopathic remedies for each of us.  Through her, I discovered yoga, and through yoga I rediscovered my love of drawing.  I am grateful to have a health care professional who has our best interests at heart and works tirelessly to find what meets our needs.

I have shaken off my mid-winter slump, am back to getting up early and my attitude and my house have both improved with the extra time and attention.  The house may be dark and cold but my cup of coffee and my dogs warm me up as I look over my friends’ blogs and discover what their families are up to.  This extra time allows me to cut way back on screen time during the day, although I still struggle to put down my phone.  In this extra time I am drawing, writing, blogging, and reading.  I am all caught up on Downton Abbey and this attention to self has given me the energy to stay up late with Greg watching the show, drinking our tea.  I am grateful for the ability to be home with my girls, overseeing their education yet still giving myself time and attention.  


Our work is flowing organically from one topic to the next, just the way I like it.  Lilah’s Religious Ed class at church dealt with what we have studied recently in history.  Grace just purchased a Geography book that will be a perfect accompaniment to her meteorology internship. The three of us are reading Wonder (I am done, Lilah is close to  being done and Grace is a few chapters in) and we are meeting up with friends this week who are also reading the book and participating in activities sponsored by the town of Fairfield.  When this happens again and again I know we are on the right track.  For example, last week at dinner we were watching the news.  I really hate having televisions in restaurants.  It is so hard not to be distracted by them.  It featured a weather kids program in which children wired a small light bulb to a battery.  Lilah smiled and said that it was cool....but she had just wired a motor to a battery!  I am so grateful for the ability to homeschool my children.  


As I write this, snow is falling outside.  It is beautiful.  And cold.  Our wood supply is dwindling and Grace is giving me hourly updates on a potentially big storm for Friday.  I am grateful for a full refrigerator to feed my family, a tank of oil to heat our old home, and a train to bring Greg home from Manhattan so he does not have to drive.  I am grateful for the convenience of living close to the rail line.


This may be a silly one, but I am grateful for some compliments I have received on my hair.  I have tried to grow it out before and it is very, very hard.  This is the stage where I usually cave and cut it.  Just when I am about to pick up the phone and call for an appointment someone comments that they like it.  For that I am so grateful!  And my beautiful wool hat Greg gave me for Christmas last year that covers up any bad hair days while I wait out this stage.....


3 comments:

  1. Your doctor sounds like a dream come true! And I suppose I am going to have to start watching Downtown Abbey because I'm hearing about it everywhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it's one big interconnected web! It's so good, isn't it? Your hair looks great, mine is coming along nicely. Me too, but it's such a drag! Hang in there, it gets better. And then if your like me it'll last a year or so, and you'll get bored and cut it again! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so different with longer hair, Jess. I really like it -- congrats for sticking it out. I know that's hard!

    I share your thankfulness in this lifestyle we live. Learning at home with our children is a huge blessing, and one I am thankful for, even on the hard days.

    I'm so proud of you for taking care of yourself AND your family. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Related Posts with Thumbnails