Sunday, April 7, 2013

Baptism Gift


It has taken me weeks to complete a gift for my soon-to-be Goddaughter’s baptism.  I knew I wanted to do something special, something unique.  I wanted to do something that would actually be from me, not from a store.  Playing around on Pinterest, I came across a unique product called The Child’s Training Bible.  It is a compilation of scriptures that pertain to different experiences a child person will have such as jealousy, anger, stealing, laziness.  

The guide works by using color coded tabs and matching Sharpie highlighters to highlight passages in the Bible and tab them according to the topic.  When complete the Bible is brightly colored, highlighting God’s words urging us to forgive, to share our talents and our gift with others, and to respect one another.  



My only criticism of this product is that it approaches raising children from a negative point of view and refers to the Bible as a disciplinary tool.   Those of us with young children know that if we are looking for negatives we will find them fast.  If their room is a mess, does that mean they are lazy?  If they refuse to turn away from a video game the second we ask, does that mean they are disobedient?  I don’t think so.  I think that we all have moments of laziness, of disobedience, and of jealousy but those moments do not define our character or establish our personality.   

Looking at my own parenting experience, most of the topics in this guide could have come in handy as my children relate to the world around them.  When they were struggling with friendships I sure could have used the passages about staying true to yourself while in a friendship.  When they were struggling to give away unused or outgrown items in their closet, perhaps the passages on sharing could have helped.  I don’t look at this as a “child training” Bible, but a Bible that helps us navigate life according to our faith and God’s plan.

I modified it a bit........

I turned the negative into a positive.  Rather than paste the guide page onto the title page of the Bible as recommended, I rewrote the topics from a different point of view.

  • When you are angry....
  • When you feel like complaining.....
  • When you don’t feel like doing what you must do....
  • When you are discouraged....
  • When you are disobedient......
  • When you are afraid.....
  • When you feel like arguing, or someone is arguing with you....
  • When you are impatient or someone is being impatient with you.....
  • When you feel jealousy or someone is jealous of you.....
  • When you are feeling lazy.....
  • When you are tempted to lie or have been lied to.....
  • When you make an excuse or someone makes excuses to you.....
  • When you are not listening or someone is not listening to you....
  • Choose your friendships carefully.  They matter!  You matter!
  • Forgive.
  • Be true to yourself.
  • When someone has taken something which does not belong to them...
  • Share your talents, your gifts and your belongings with others.
  • When you are arguing and need to know what to do.
  • Be humble and kind.



I used Modge Podge to adhere them to the first two pages of the Bible.  I am very pleased with the way this project turned out.  It took hours but I enjoyed every minute.  So much, that I plan to buy myself a new Bible and do this for our family.   I also have a Confirmation coming up and I would like to give this gift to my sister’s son, my first Godchild....


2 comments:

  1. This is an amazing idea! Did you still use the same passages from the Child's Training Bible, and jus change the headings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used most of the same passages, I just gave them new heading that were more positive (in my opinion). We don't use the Bible as a disciplinary tool and I felt a bit uncomfortable giving a gift that had negative headings. I did supplement it with heading of my own choosing and selections that I found to accompany them.

      Delete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

CT Art Trail Adventures #3 - Florence Griswold Museum

I find it interesting that even parents who have been homeschooling a long time slip into the mindset that learning comes from books ...