Friday, May 31, 2013

Collage Friday : Our Start To Summer





Center Picture: I was able to try out my super-duper beach chair and found it quite to my liking!  Thankfully friends of ours that live close by were free for a spontaneous trip to the beach where our girls laughed and splashed and cartwheeled.  It was a much needed time for my friend and I to connect uninterrupted and catch up on what is going on in our lives.

Top Left, Clockwise

Board Books - I have been posting what the girls and I are up to on Instagram.  I love Instagram.  It gives Greg a glimpse into what his girls are up to day by day making him feel more connected while at work.  When he gets home, he does not have to ask, “what did you do today?”, he can ask specific questions about what we did do during the day.  I also learn something every day from the people I follow on Instagram so I try to pay it forward by sharing what we like, what we learn, and how we learn.  

These board books are being turned into art journals.  I have an art journaling “class” beginning next week with two of the girls friends who attend school.  This gives them a chance to see each other, create some art, and have a short project rather than a huge art journal to fill.

Green Smoothies - I should have added to my 10 Things List, green smoothies.  I have been drinking these now for 2 years.  I try to drink one every day but sometimes I am lazy, especially in the winter when my body probably needs the Vit C and iron the most.  I just love walking outside to my garden, cutting the spinach and lettuce and parsley, bringing them inside and filling my glass with their green glory.  

Worm Tower - I was not sure how well this would work but it is an amazing little composting system!  We check out tower frequently to make sure it is not dried out, the food level in sufficient and that there are worm tracks up the sides and hopefully castings here and there.  Lilah saw worms yesterday and since there are no fruit flies, no strong odor and potato plants in this box are thriving, I feel like this has been a successful project.  I plan to build three more this weekend, one for each of my square foot boxes.  

Gilly - Gilly is doing great.  The girls are doing a great job taking care of him.  I do nothing other than buy his food and hay.  They make his salad twice a day, make sure he has pellets, fresh water, hay and toys.  They take him out at least twice a day for about 30 minutes each time.  He gets plenty of exercise and he even has a play house designed especially for him by Lilah!  Our yard can handle the poop of one rabbit.  It all goes into the gardens.

Broken Toe - I am going to be posting soon about one of my favorite family resources, Prescription for Nutritional Healing, an A-Z guide of remedies (herbal, supplement, nutritional) for just about any ailment you can think of.  Lilah recently broke her baby toe and it recommended a poultice of turmeric.  She laughed and reminded me that I am not a doctor.  I told her I don’t want to be a doctor but I very much want to be a healer.  Her toe is still yellow, but it feels better!

Guitar - The weather has been so beautiful that Grace has been practicing outside!

Building - my backyard is almost ready for the big reveal.  This weekend Greg and Grace took down our ugly metal dog kennel and build a farm-like fence enclosure.  We kept the kennel decking for easy cleaning but now they have an enclosure that matches Gilly’s and a beautiful gate.  Gilly’s Garden Box is planted with beets, cucumber, tomato, carrots, and lettuce.  I  have lived here 15 years and have never been excited about my yard....until now.

Cupcakes - While Greg and Grace were building, I was inside serving as Lilah’s baking assistant.  She had her first paying order of 3 dozen cupcakes!  They were beautifully decorated and delivered on time to our friend from church who was throwing a college graduation party for her daughter.

Jake - I just love this picture of Jake.  No story behind it.  Just love.

More Cupcakes - My little baker made a dozen (in addition to the three she made for her order) yummy cupcakes for my sister’s Memorial Day party.  Sadly, none were left to bring home.....

Memorial Day - When my brother joined the Marines we threw a big party for him.  It was the fulfillment of one of his dreams and our way of saying we were proud of him and his accomplishments.  Family came from far away and a tradition was born.  This year may have been a bit chilly but the warmth of family made up for that.  

Dogs - Grace adores my sister’s dogs and lets them climb all over her.  I just love this picture.

It has been a busy week, and not a week crammed with academics but with family, friends, and summer fun.  A good week.  A fulfilling week.  A wonderful start to summer.



Homegrown Learners

9 comments:

  1. ah the beach...great shot! Lover of Instagram too (as you know!) Little Gilly so cute! OUCH on the toe...I break mine often 8( I cant wait for the big reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome week ~ Less the broken toe. I will have to look in to the worm tower. That looks cool. What fun at the beach.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such happiness in your collage today, Jess. I can't wait to see your backyard!

    I love following you on IG - I learn so much from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fantastic start! So much goodness. Well, minus a broken toe... Can't wait for the big reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your weeks always sound so great and peaceful and calm. I wish we lived near an uncrowded beach. The beaches in NJ are all crammed full of people listening to music and smoking stinky cigarettes and talking loudly, after going to Georgia last summer, I realized why I am not crazy about the Jersey shore--we usually go and we will this year a couple times, just because we can and want to support the businesses, but I would prefer a quiet beach like yours.

    I have Prescription for Nutritional Healing, but it's an old copy--my mom got everyone in the family copies about 15 years ago because she loved it so much--I wonder if I need to update it? There are so many editions, I wonder if it matters? Although, to be honest, I haven't looked at it in years, so thank you for reminding me about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great collage of a beautiful week:) I enjoy keeping up with your work in progress outside...love what I've seen of the fence enclosure!

    I have the book Prescription for Nutritional Healing too- a favorite of mine! We have been able to treat so many of our families needs from home...without a doctor's visit. Hope the toe is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great, fun week with friends and family. Who could ask for anything more?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You all look so happy! Pets too :-) I've never used Instagram but I love the idea of my husband being able to see what we're doing "real-time"... thanks for the inspiration! Lucinda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been trying to convince my husband to join IG, I think he would like seeing the things we do. I know I love following you :) One of these days I'm going to try one of Lilah's cupcakes that I keep seeing!!

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

CT Art Trail Adventures #3 - Florence Griswold Museum

I find it interesting that even parents who have been homeschooling a long time slip into the mindset that learning comes from books ...