Friday, August 23, 2013

Perseid Meteor Shower


We live in a metropolitan area that suffers from light pollution.  It is sad to me that my girls have few opportunities to see the full glory of a night sky.  The Perseid Meteor Shower was to peak during our stay on the Cape, so even though it was a bit early in the night, we headed to the beach to gaze upwards.  My brother loaned us his night vision monocular and gave us a lesson on its use.



Holy moly.  It made the sky come alive.  Meteors were visible with night vision that were invisible with the naked eye.  



We were too early to experience the expected 100 meteors per hour, but we each saw several.  For the girls, it was their first time seeing a shooting star.  That was pretty magical.

3 comments:

  1. That IS magical. We've been talking a lot about the wonders of the sky recently in one of Anna's rhetoric books and it's rekindling an interest in us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I have had the pleasure of witnessing a few showers in my lifetime. They are magical! Enjoy the rest of your Summer Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the first year we watched the Perseid Meteor showers. It was about 4 years ago. I honestly started crying. I couldn't believe how beautiful they were. I am so glad you got to see this with your girls!

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...