Monday, August 26, 2013

Whale Watch


“Two hundred years ago an old Dutch voyager likened its shape to that of a shoemaker’s last. And in this same last or shoe, that old woman of the nursery tale with the swarming brood, might very comfortably be lodged, she and all her progeny.” 
Herman Melville, Moby Dick 

Have you ever seen a whale?  No matter how many times I venture out on a whale watching adventure the awe of these majestic creatures strikes me like it is the very first time.  We could not have conjured up a more perfect day to head out to the open Atlantic. The sky was clear, the sea calm and the sun was not too hot.  

Just past Provincetown, Massachusetts lie the summer feeding grounds for humpback whales.  We were lucky enough to stumble upon two humpback whales at rest on the surface of the sea.  We were also lucky enough to have a naturalist on board our vessel.  She explained that the fleet of boats make it their mission to “dance” with the whales, learning, investigating, examining but not interfering with their movements nor hindering their freedoms.  

We also observed a giant fin whale, the second largest mammal in the world.  In.the.world. Awesome.  

This experience was a first for my girls.  Just stepping on the boat was a major accomplishment for Lilah, who has a fear of boats and being in deep water.  I was regretting that me, the family photographer, forgot her Cannon for this trip!  All I had to record my adventure was my trusty iPhone.  

Lilah put together a little something to share......

video


2 comments:

  1. Looks like an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to do this. They are just so beautiful and almost magical to me. Great job Lilah!!! You all look so happy!!

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...