Thursday, September 26, 2013

Thursday

I love the flow of our week.  I love the thought and consideration that has gone into every program, class, activity and daily schedule.  Thursday we begin our day with “study hall” at the library.  We meet up with a friend and the girls bring their homework from outside classes.  This year, unlike others, the girls have official work to be done at home.  Grace has music theory homework, and both girls have sign language and bible study work that must be completed.  Every Thursday they have a two hour block of time in which to complete as much as possible.





The weekly visit to the library also ensures that we are checking out, reading and returning books.  I don’t have to “find” time to grab a new audiobook or rush to get to the drop box before I start accruing fines.  It is a little thing, but one less stressor to my week.

After study hall we venture to the beach for lunch.  It is a quick visit, about 20 minutes or so, but it gives us time to relax, soak up some sun, look for sea glass, turn some cartwheels, stretch, and feel alive.  





We then meet up with other friends at sign language class.  I cannot express how grateful I am that a woman I know from church offered to create a class for us.  In  just two weeks my girls have learned a great deal about signing and deaf culture.  They know the alphabet, their sign name, some animals, numbers, days, how to say thank you and a few other words.  It is serendipitous (there is that word again) that two of my sister-in-laws are taking a sign language class at a community college.  Their class is being taught by a deaf professor.  They spent time during their first class watching a documentary, Audism Unveiled.  The girls and I watched it at home on youtube.  It is a fascinating look at the discrimination faced by the deaf community and the struggles many have faced to have communication with family, friends and the hearing population.  It gives insight into the history of scientific advancements, many of which are not really so scientific, nor considered advancements.  It is a worthwhile view whether or not you are learning ASL.



6 comments:

  1. I love your schedule. You make it sound so easy, too. You have me re-thinking our schedule. Thank you for sharing your beautiful homeschool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phyllis,
      It has taken me 4 years to really understand how to schedule my family. It works only because I got my daughters input, took into consideration their different needs and said NO to several things. Saying no is always hard but it keeps us balanced. I am glad you visit the blog and find something of value here!

      Delete
  2. I've been sick for 3 days and am just now catching up. Isn't this amazing? Keilee would absolutely love to take a sign language class. I love the idea of study hall too. So far this has been my favorite homeschool year of yours. And you know how I love the way you homeschool anyway!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sign Language has been great. The girls are picking it up much faster than when we tried Spanish. Grace is so physical, it meets her learning style. If she can connect things to movement, they just stick with her. I love to watch them practice. Lilah has beautiful finger signing and Grace is just so darn enthusiastic!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jessica, Jackie here stopping by from the October Let's Homeschool High School Blog Hop. Sounds like you guys are some of the "kinkless and proud" ones that can encourage the rest of us! :) The beach does sound wonderful.

    Best wishes this school year and I look forward to reading your post next month.

    Joyfully,
    Jackie
    Let's Homeschool High School Team Member

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your idea of 'Study Hall'. We too, sneak some beach breaks during our days as well - they certainly keep us refreshed.

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails