Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The details are on Instagram

Not too long ago I wanted to move. I felt there was no beauty surrounding me and thought I could find beauty in a town with rolling green hills and pastures. I was, and am still, tired of the congestion, of the background hum of I95, of graffiti, of loud car stereos and light pollution that blocks the stars at night. When we made the decision to stay, to turn our home and tiny plot of land into all it could be, I made the choice to look for beauty where ever I am. 









When we are driving and something beautiful catches our eye, we don’t just drive by. We slow down. We turn around. We look. We listen. We take pictures. Instagram has changed the way I look at my life. While it is a record of our homeschooling experience and our life in general, I try very hard to focus on taking pictures that capture the beauty before me. Perhaps it is a breathtaking Catholic church. Or a seagull stretching his wings pre flight. Or the way the light enters a room. Or my view of what my girls are working on. 











My blog tends to capture some of our family’s bigger moments such as the projects, the trips, the lessons learned. But Instagram  captures the details. This blog began as a way to share our homeschool with friends and family near and far. Our life right now is busy with classes and activities which does not leave much time for writing and blogging, so I blog on the go with Instagram. You don’t have to have an account to see what we are up to or to leave a comment. I will still be blogging here, but to see the details of our life, check out my profile, teachablemoments here.

10 comments:

  1. I love following your Instagram account.... it's always inspiring to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I think Instagram has transformed my homeschool more than blogging has. I love sharing what works/what we like/what we learned......it inspires me.

      Delete
  2. This is exactly how I feel about Instagram. The pictures are a photo diary of our days. I blog maybe once a week but I Instagram every day. I love looking back and seeing our daily life. Love all these pictures Jess. That church is breathtakingly beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to go inside. My friend's sister was married there.

      Delete
    2. I have been thinking about this post and realize that I too see things differently because of IG. I see 'IG posts" everywhere. :) And the phone makes it SO easy. Do you you use any apps for your photos? I have tons but rarely use any of them.

      Delete
    3. The only app I sometimes use is Plastic Bullet. Other than that, just the IG filters. Today is sign language and I look forward to driving around and seeing what inspires me - whether it is the beach or a seagull. Today I may head down to the marina.......

      Delete
  3. I was just talking with my friend about how there is beauty in every place if we just look for it. And I love that Instagram allows me to experience the most beautiful sights and scenes all over the US. Thanks for always sharing your beauty with us. PS. I'm not skilled at commenting. I'm hoping this will post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love that we are connected with families all over the world and we talk about them as if we know them when in fact most we will never meet. I love that you and I are on opposite coasts and that this somehow connects us. I can be walking on a frozen coastline while you are enjoying the warmth of the sun searching for sea glass. I'm so glad you commented!

      Delete
  4. Your photos are gorgeous as are your words. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I never knew how much I loved photography until I got my iPhone. I always had my camera but never used it like I use my phone. Photography connects us in a different way than our blogs do, but for me at least, in a more meaningful way.

      Delete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

CT Art Trail Adventures #3 - Florence Griswold Museum

I find it interesting that even parents who have been homeschooling a long time slip into the mindset that learning comes from books ...