Skip to main content

YMCA



We don’t do New Year Resolutions.   We would just be setting ourselves up to fail.  We do what feels right when it feels right.  We had the idea to quit cable so we quit cable.  We I don’t miss it one bit!  We phase in and out of daily green smoothies.  Right now we are detoxing from overindulging in holiday sweets, so we are smoothy-ing almost every day.  We try to exercise as much as possible, but we realize this is an area that we can improve on.

Our lifestyle should allow for more exercise, given that we have the freedom to schedule it in, but we find ourselves with very little time.  Greg gets off the train at 8pm and going for a run in the dark is not very appealing, especially in the snow and ice.  I loved and craved my yoga classes but my girls do not like staying home alone at night in the dark, which makes my 6pm class impossible to attend.

We realized that for less than what we were paying for cable television, we could join the YMCA.  If we change our weekends just a bit, we can all get what we need.

The girls are old enough to swim, or sit in the lounge without a parent, which frees Greg and I up to take an exercise or yoga class.  Greg has started his class, a TRX suspension class and I am hoping to join yoga this week.

The girls are enjoying the pool.  They swam twice last week and I have written time into our schedule so that we can go at least once a week.  Time will not magically appear.  I am always considering our schedule and the needs of our family.  There will be some other new additions this winter.  Things to keep active, keep in touch with friends.  We will spend time pursuing new activities and we will open ourselves up to the possibilities of new friendships.


Grace received an Olympus tough camera which is waterproof up to 30 feet.  It keeps their creative side busy while in the water!





































Comments

  1. I keep toying with going back to the Y, but a family membership is over $1000 and although we have good intentions...

    We cut back to the most basic cable over 10 years ago and I don't feel like we've missed much. That said, we did end up adding Netflix last year. Now that my boys are teens, they also feel like they are missing out on sports coverage. I wish you could just pick and choose the channels you want to pay for!

    I have started putting together a list of activities to get me outdoors more (and to try new things). It is based on the 101 Things in 1001 Days. I don't have 101 things yet, but the hope is to make positive, healthy changes!

    Love those underwater pics. I got an underwater camera last year so that I don't have to worry about it getting wet when kayaking. I've been very pleased with the pictures.

    Enjoy the pool!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed out on taking pictures on some of our trips because I was afraid I would drop my iPhone in the water or water would splash on my dslr camera. I love that Grace has this camera and I can borrow it!

      Delete
  2. I so wish we had a YMCA close to our home. We did join this local gym about a week ago, but no pool.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have several Y's near us. In fact we have one within walking distance but it is the only one in our area that has not been renovated and it cannot compare to the one we go to, with its classes and facilities. We keep hoping that our little YMCA will be renovated. That would be a dream come true.

      Delete
  3. Our YMCA is about 35 minutes away. This would be awesome. I love the underwater pictures!!! Keilee would like a camera like that. There is a new fitness place opening up here and we may check it out. $10 a month which is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about time not magically appearing. If we want something to happen we have to find the time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Popular posts from this blog

Defending Homeschooling

Yesterday I was called to defend my homeschooling to someone who did not know me well and does not understand the concept of homeschooling well.  Some of the questions that were asked included:


How do I grade?How do I know they are on track?How do I teach what I do not know?How do I have patience?How will they go to college?
These are fairly typical questions and I should have been able to answer them with ease and confidence but I sensed judgment and it shook me a bit.  After all these years, I thought I was beyond being shaken up by questions, especially when asked respectfully.  To be fair, the questioner has a very traditional outlook on education and has two children younger than mine, who already know which Ivy League schools they wish to attend.

So how did I respond?


































Grades - we don't grade.  I have gone back and forth over 
the years about grading but I wrote a post a few days ago that sums up my thinking on grades.  It took Grace a year and a half to make it thought algebra an…

Art Journaling: Quotes

If you saw our group’s art journal pages on display, I wonder if you would be able to guess how old the artists are.






Their work is mature beyond their years.  





I wonder why this is...Is it talent?  It is interest?  Is it passion?  
I don’t know.  What I do know is that magic happens when they are together...  


...and that I love every single minute of it.  


Shelling in Coastal Connecticut, Rhode Island

It is a wise father that knows his own child. - William Shakespeare


Our family has always embraced each other’s interests.  We almost take them on as our own.  I have attended two weather conferences with Grace.  I have run a baking camp for Lilah.  It is truly wonderful when we discover an interest that we all share. For us, this interest is shelling.  
You can’t shell as home.  After a long and at times difficult week, Greg and I decided to skip our normal Saturday routine of food shopping, running errands and having a nice family dinner at home, in favor of exploring beaches in Connecticut and Rhode Island.  We threw food into a cooler, grabbed water bottles, our microscope, shelling bags (mesh laundry bags), and headed north.
Our first stop was Rocky Neck State Park.  We have mixed feelings about this beach.  We love the soft white sand and the glacier formations to climb on and the contrast of colors created by the water, the sand and the rock, but we disliked the Amtrack trains that…