Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Quilt

Once upon a time there was a little 7 year old girl who loved to sew.  Sew, sew, sew.  During this time she made a quilt top with our neighbor who was giving her sewing lessons.  She chose the fabric, rich golds, greens and yellow the color of turmeric.  Stunning and very mature.  She cut out six inch squares and sewed them together.  She was very proud of her work.  Then, like most little seven year olds, she grew up a little and discovered that she loved to bake.  Bake, bake, bake. The sewing machine was put on a shelf.  Her ten year old self loved to craft.  Craft, craft, craft.  The sewing machine was taken out now and again.  Her ten year old self made a table runner and napkins for Easter dinner, then put the machine back on its shelf.  Her eleven year old self took the machine out to make fabric hair bows, then put it back on its shelf.



Lilah registered for sewing class at our new coop.  Her teacher (a fellow mom) has 30 years of sewing experience.  I emailed her and asked if she would be willing to help Lilah finish the quilt that has been sitting neatly folded in the top drawer of my dresser for three years.  Lilah decided on a plain white backing, cotton batting and a rich green grosgrain ribbon for the edging.  Simple and beautiful.  




Her first sewing class was spent pinning each square to the cotton batting and the fabric backing.  She cut the edges and began to quilt!  Her machine sang.  It must have been so happy to be off its shelf, in a room filled with creative energy, and used by the girl who once loved her so.  Her plan is to have her quilt lay upon her bed, which may happen, if I don’t get to it first!



3 comments:

  1. That is so great. For about a year I quilted like crazy (was taught by an older lady at church with a group of women), and made 8 quilts for Christmas presents. Then I put the sewing machine away and didn't do another one. I just cleaned out my attic and found the sewing machine, pulled it out to be serviced because Grace has expressed some interest in learning how to sew. We found a great tutorial on Youtube for an easy skirt with no pattern.

    I'm glad you found the information about Vocabulary Cartoons something you could use. I am thinking about getting the SAT version for next year.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful - both your post and Lilah's quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful post and I am so glad Lilah is finishing this gorgeous quilt. Keilee made a very small quilt when she was 7. My Mom helped her. It was only about 7x7. Keilee put it in my Mom's coffin at the funeral. I think about that little quilt so often.

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails