Skip to main content

Writing Group Lesson: For The Love of Words

Our writing group is off to a great start.  We are three weeks in to our six week session and my hope is that the girls will want to continue.  I have had some requests on Instagram to share our lessons.  
Scarecrow
Supplies: journal, internet access, Sharpie marker, crayons, writing utensils
Skype and Artforkidshub

I rely heavily on technology in our workshop.  We have two girls join us via internet from New York and Alabama.  Next week we will move away from Skype and Facetime to Google Hangout and my hope is that other girls will be able to join in since Google Hangout can accomodate 10 guests.   This week we used one of my favorite drawing tutorial sites www.artforkidshub.com .  The girls drew the Scarecrow using Sharpie and crayons.

While the girls were working on their coloring, we began to pass around a story.  I began the story using the scarecrow as the theme and passed it to the girl next to me.  She wrote a sentence, folded down mine and passed it on so that only her sentence showed.  This went on and on around the table.  I read the cumulated sentences and we laughed at the course the tale took.  This is like playing telephone with writing.  
Grace is writing down K's addition to the writing "game".

When the drawings and stories  were complete, I introduced a website I discovered mentioned in the eBook we are using, Writer’s Workshop Step by Step: www.phrontistery.info which contains loads of unusual and rarely used words.  Some girls listed words they want to remember and incorporate into their writing and others like Grace and Lilah chose to make a word splash.  



I was truly shocked at how engrossed the girls became in the website. Normally we leave at least 30 minutes for writing but this website was a catalyst for great conversation.  **Parents need to be aware just like a dictionary, this site has words that may be inappropriate for younger writers.  We bypassed independent writing time and focused our whole session on the love of words.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defending Homeschooling

Yesterday I was called to defend my homeschooling to someone who did not know me well and does not understand the concept of homeschooling well.  Some of the questions that were asked included:


How do I grade?How do I know they are on track?How do I teach what I do not know?How do I have patience?How will they go to college?
These are fairly typical questions and I should have been able to answer them with ease and confidence but I sensed judgment and it shook me a bit.  After all these years, I thought I was beyond being shaken up by questions, especially when asked respectfully.  To be fair, the questioner has a very traditional outlook on education and has two children younger than mine, who already know which Ivy League schools they wish to attend.

So how did I respond?


































Grades - we don't grade.  I have gone back and forth over 
the years about grading but I wrote a post a few days ago that sums up my thinking on grades.  It took Grace a year and a half to make it thought algebra an…

Art Journaling: Quotes

If you saw our group’s art journal pages on display, I wonder if you would be able to guess how old the artists are.






Their work is mature beyond their years.  





I wonder why this is...Is it talent?  It is interest?  Is it passion?  
I don’t know.  What I do know is that magic happens when they are together...  


...and that I love every single minute of it.  


Shelling in Coastal Connecticut, Rhode Island

It is a wise father that knows his own child. - William Shakespeare


Our family has always embraced each other’s interests.  We almost take them on as our own.  I have attended two weather conferences with Grace.  I have run a baking camp for Lilah.  It is truly wonderful when we discover an interest that we all share. For us, this interest is shelling.  
You can’t shell as home.  After a long and at times difficult week, Greg and I decided to skip our normal Saturday routine of food shopping, running errands and having a nice family dinner at home, in favor of exploring beaches in Connecticut and Rhode Island.  We threw food into a cooler, grabbed water bottles, our microscope, shelling bags (mesh laundry bags), and headed north.
Our first stop was Rocky Neck State Park.  We have mixed feelings about this beach.  We love the soft white sand and the glacier formations to climb on and the contrast of colors created by the water, the sand and the rock, but we disliked the Amtrack trains that…