Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Finding Joy in Our Community

Karen and I love to talk about Gilmore Girls.  We are just beginning season 2 and they are almost done with the series.  One conversation we had that has really stuck with me was about how cool the festivals are in the community of Stars Hollow.  I realize Stars Hollow is a fictional town full of fictional characters, but it drove home the point that I should be celebrating more in my own community.  

Over and over in mass each week, our Priest points out that in order to move through these troubled times we must resist the world view of focusing on the negative.  We need to look to the beauty, the hope, the light.  One way I can do this is by getting off my behind and doing more to seek out the beauty, the joy and the light.  

Friday night was cold.  We were tucked inside our home sharing time with friends.  It would have been so easy to build a fire, put on pjs and call it a week.  I am really tired these days.  The evenings are hard for me.  It is like I go into hibernation mode with the time change.  It happened last year and it is happening again this year.  I shook off the desire to sit and be still and instead we bundled up and headed to the farm where the girls ride to take part in a Lion’s Club fundraiser.  



The money raised will be distributed to military families in the community who will have a loved one away for Christmas.  I remember all to well what it was like to have my brother in Afghanistan for Christmas and while we sat down to a lovely dinner of roast beef, we wondered if he was sitting down to a meal as well or if he was out in the hills of Afghanistan cold and unsafe.  



This night was the start to our holiday season.  There was face painting and card making.  There was cupcake decorating and dog toy braiding.  For the little people there were rides on Lilah’s horse Logan.  



The barn was filled with joy and the spirit of community.  The children were all happy and their smiles were contagious.  The owners of the farm welcomed everyone into their barn.  They welcomed us with hugs and took the time to talk with the girls and make sure they were enjoying themselves.  The spirit of Christmas welled up inside of us.  The hope of people gathering together to spread joy filled us.  The barn was lit up with the power of love.  The only thing that would have made the night more perfect is if Greg could have joined us.  



This was not Stars Hollow.  Nope.  This was so much better.  


3 comments:

  1. This is so full of joy and beauty. What a lovely night. We are almost finished with it for the 4th time. It amazes us how we forget things! I guess that's what happens when you watch 154 episodes!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Gilmore Girls is one of my very favorites and I used to wish I had a small town like Stars Hollow. When we made the move to Habersham County that is pretty much what we got. Always running into people you know at the grocery store, etc. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Love all the small town festivals, parades, and love that we get from this community.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...