Sunday, December 21, 2014

Completed! 6 week ASL course.


Since we are using American Sign Language as our foreign language credit, it is important that we make it the equivalent of a high school or middle school class even though this is a content based course, and not based on credit hours.

From September to November the girls worked in a class setting every Thursday evening for 2 hours and completed American Sign Language I.  Last year was also ASL I but this year was a challenge, being immersed in a language and into a class with adult learners.  For the purpose of simplicity, I am calling this ASL I rather than II.

by Barbara Bernstein Fant and Lou Fant.

The class went on hiatus until the first week of January which is pretty typical for us.  Take December off, remember?  But I did not want a six week gap even though it will not show on their transcript.  Their teacher, who is also the mother of one of Grace’s best friends, agreed to teach the girls in a fun, informal class during the break.

They completed another book, Signing Fun by Penny Warner.  


Their next adventure, ASL II will begin in January and they have been placed in the adult class due to their knowledge of the language.  It will again meet 2 hours every week for 10 weeks and they will work through the text: Learning American Sign Language Levels I & II by Tom Humphries and Carol Padden.  Interestingly, my niece is taking ASL in college.  This is the text book she will be using for her spring semester. 

1 comment:

  1. I am just so proud of them. This is something they will always carry with them.

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...