Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Discovery


Road trips are really about discovery, not the quickest detour around traffic ahead, but discovery about who you are and what matters most.  Even at 43, there are things I still discover about myself, like I love Winnie the Pooh!  

Discovering the BEST smokehouse in Georgia


I detest Winnie the Pooh cartoons.  My kids never watched them for I found them to be slow, and some of the characters irritating.  In a classic case of the movie is never ever as good as the book, I should not have been surprised that after the first of 10 stories on our audio book, Winnie-the-Pooh: A.A. Milne's Pooh Classics, Volume 1, narrated by Peter Dennis, I was hooked.  

Discovering Sanibel Island, Florida


Lilah and I oohed and ahhed over Piglet and Rooh and we wondered when and if Tigger would be introduced (he was not) and we loved the stories of friendship and love and simplicity.  This audio book is just 3 hours but we stretched it out to many more because we listed to each story individually, taking long pauses in between.  It was our only audio book of the drive to Florida.  

Discovering a Junonia, the shells we would search for all week but never find.
Which led to the discovery of this book which we read on vacation.

Our family seeks out bookstores on vacation with the same intensity that we seek out ice cream shoppes.  We discovered a lovely bookstore and Lilah bought the complete tales of Winnie the Pooh and made a point to tell me at bedtime, back in Connecticut, tucked into bed with a sleepy smile on her face, that she had met Tigger and discovered a poem that she just had to share with me, a poem about poor little Tigger. 





“And that’s the whole poem”, he said.  “Do you like it, Piglet?”
“All except the shillings,” said Piglet.  “I don’t think they ought to be there.”
“They wanted to come in after the pounds,” explained Pooh, “so I let them.  It is the best way to write poetry, letting things come.”
“Oh, I didn’t know,” said Piglet.   (from A.A. Milne's The World of Winnie the Pooh, The Complete Tales of Winnie the Pooh, The House at Pooh Corner)


This is the best way not only to write poetry, but to enjoy life, letting things come.


4 comments:

  1. I am in love with this post. I have found so many things that I thought I didn't love that I later found out I did. Beautiful pictures and beautiful words. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book store looks incredible. Would love to visit it.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was and most of their inventory was overstock so the prices were heavily discounted. I think her Winnie The Pooh hardcover book cost $8.....

      Delete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails