Skip to main content

In Our Own Backyard

Our weeks are pretty full.  Mondays we have riding and we get a bunch of work done in the morning.  Tuesdays we have an online math class, cello lessons and writing group.  Wednesdays we have babysitting and riding.  Thursdays are for sign language and Fridays are writing group and piano.  It’s a full week.  At this point nothing can be added without taking something away.

When I look through my IG feed or even just my camera roll I see pictures of us writing, of us at the beach, or riding, and there is a part of me that misses seeing pictures of us out and about learning outside of home, at museums, at parks, at aquariums, at the movies, at lectures, at bookstores, anywhere but at home.  

Some highlights this fall have been:
  • Grace’s photography class
  • Their ASL class beginning
  • First visit to Peabody Museum for history (Inca)
  • Picking out Lilah’s cello in New Haven


That’s about it and that’s not enough.  It’s not enough for me to just give them book work without connecting it to life experiences.  I have to work on this.  

In the meantime our experiential learning has come from our time together as a family.  This weekend we had the rare opportunity to visit and tour the lighthouse in our town that is operated by the Coast Guard.  It was open only once before, this summer, in celebration of the Coast Guard’s 200th birthday.  We missed this event and made sure not to miss the second time they offered the tour, in response to the thousands that attended the first one.  





We love lighthouses.  Whereever we are on the East Coast we make it a point to visit.  We have visited lighthouses in ME, MA, CT, VA and FL but we never knew there was a Passport book and club you can participate in through http://uslhs.org/fun/passport-club.

We obtained the stamp at our lighthouse and we will add it to our Passport book when it arrives.  Our lighthouse is not the biggest or the most impressive we have visited, but it is ours.  It was constructed in 1881 of cast iron and brick.  It’s 35 feet tall and on the cliff sits 52 feet above high tide. It was intended to mark the entrance to the Housatonic River.  It’s light can be seen for 16 nautical miles and flashes at 20 second intervals.




I love when we can learn and have new experiences right in our own backyard!

Comments

  1. I grew up on the Pacific Coast; now I live in the middle. Seeing your lighthouse makes me long for the ocean. :)

    You inspired me yesterday to take my crew on a mini field trip instead of showing them pictures via google.

    Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! As I re-read this, I neglected to mention that we have been physically unable to keep up with our normal routine due to pneumonia striking both girls. Day tripping has been impossible. They don't have the stamina right now to walk around NYC or even to walk around a larger museum. I can't wait for them to return to their healthy selves so we can get back in our community and learn from more than books and the computer!

      Delete
  2. I would have loved to come along to the lighthouse. It is something magical about lighthouses.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Popular posts from this blog

Defending Homeschooling

Yesterday I was called to defend my homeschooling to someone who did not know me well and does not understand the concept of homeschooling well.  Some of the questions that were asked included:


How do I grade?How do I know they are on track?How do I teach what I do not know?How do I have patience?How will they go to college?
These are fairly typical questions and I should have been able to answer them with ease and confidence but I sensed judgment and it shook me a bit.  After all these years, I thought I was beyond being shaken up by questions, especially when asked respectfully.  To be fair, the questioner has a very traditional outlook on education and has two children younger than mine, who already know which Ivy League schools they wish to attend.

So how did I respond?


































Grades - we don't grade.  I have gone back and forth over 
the years about grading but I wrote a post a few days ago that sums up my thinking on grades.  It took Grace a year and a half to make it thought algebra an…

Art Journaling: Quotes

If you saw our group’s art journal pages on display, I wonder if you would be able to guess how old the artists are.






Their work is mature beyond their years.  





I wonder why this is...Is it talent?  It is interest?  Is it passion?  
I don’t know.  What I do know is that magic happens when they are together...  


...and that I love every single minute of it.  


Shelling in Coastal Connecticut, Rhode Island

It is a wise father that knows his own child. - William Shakespeare


Our family has always embraced each other’s interests.  We almost take them on as our own.  I have attended two weather conferences with Grace.  I have run a baking camp for Lilah.  It is truly wonderful when we discover an interest that we all share. For us, this interest is shelling.  
You can’t shell as home.  After a long and at times difficult week, Greg and I decided to skip our normal Saturday routine of food shopping, running errands and having a nice family dinner at home, in favor of exploring beaches in Connecticut and Rhode Island.  We threw food into a cooler, grabbed water bottles, our microscope, shelling bags (mesh laundry bags), and headed north.
Our first stop was Rocky Neck State Park.  We have mixed feelings about this beach.  We love the soft white sand and the glacier formations to climb on and the contrast of colors created by the water, the sand and the rock, but we disliked the Amtrack trains that…