Skip to main content

Marsh Walk

One of these days I need to sit down with a cup of coffee and update course descriptions.  I don’t think I’ve looked at them for several months which is not good.  One thing I will add to Biology is a marsh walk we did in town.  


The marsh is the largest in the state.  It is generally off limits to visitors.  While it is federally protected, it is not restricted. However, the residents in this neighborhood are very protective of it and have been known to chase people away with threats to involve the police for trespassing.   A marsh walk is a 4th grade public school field trip.  Grace was able to experience this walk before she was withdrawn, but Lilah was not so I jumped at the opportunity for a guided tour by a fellow homeschooling mom who is a member of our town’s conservation committee and a guide.





We already knew that the marsh is a protective barrier between Long Island sound and our town.  We knew that it filters thousands of gallons of water during each tide cycle.  We knew it is an estuary ecosystem and home to many nesting and predatory birds.  



We did not know that there was a Native American settlement here and artifacts have been found.  Nor did we know that the grass, which settlers used to thatch their roofs, has been piled up 20 feet deep and shakes when you walk on it which can be quite unsettling!  We did not realize that it is the tides that carry in ocean debris and were saddened to see a fair amount of trash carried in.  


In my last post I wrote about being behind and having to work hard to finish up some core subjects.  However, I have been at this long enough to know that if I push and push and push and do not temper it with fun and exploration and social events we will be one unhappy family.  Like the wolf class, this too will be added to Biology as a supplement.


Comments

  1. This was one of my favorites. You know one thing I learned from you on our trip to Selma/Birmingham was how much difference it makes to take a guided tour with people who are knowledgeable. It makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Popular posts from this blog

Defending Homeschooling

Yesterday I was called to defend my homeschooling to someone who did not know me well and does not understand the concept of homeschooling well.  Some of the questions that were asked included:


How do I grade?How do I know they are on track?How do I teach what I do not know?How do I have patience?How will they go to college?
These are fairly typical questions and I should have been able to answer them with ease and confidence but I sensed judgment and it shook me a bit.  After all these years, I thought I was beyond being shaken up by questions, especially when asked respectfully.  To be fair, the questioner has a very traditional outlook on education and has two children younger than mine, who already know which Ivy League schools they wish to attend.

So how did I respond?


































Grades - we don't grade.  I have gone back and forth over 
the years about grading but I wrote a post a few days ago that sums up my thinking on grades.  It took Grace a year and a half to make it thought algebra an…

Art Journaling: Quotes

If you saw our group’s art journal pages on display, I wonder if you would be able to guess how old the artists are.






Their work is mature beyond their years.  





I wonder why this is...Is it talent?  It is interest?  Is it passion?  
I don’t know.  What I do know is that magic happens when they are together...  


...and that I love every single minute of it.  


Shelling in Coastal Connecticut, Rhode Island

It is a wise father that knows his own child. - William Shakespeare


Our family has always embraced each other’s interests.  We almost take them on as our own.  I have attended two weather conferences with Grace.  I have run a baking camp for Lilah.  It is truly wonderful when we discover an interest that we all share. For us, this interest is shelling.  
You can’t shell as home.  After a long and at times difficult week, Greg and I decided to skip our normal Saturday routine of food shopping, running errands and having a nice family dinner at home, in favor of exploring beaches in Connecticut and Rhode Island.  We threw food into a cooler, grabbed water bottles, our microscope, shelling bags (mesh laundry bags), and headed north.
Our first stop was Rocky Neck State Park.  We have mixed feelings about this beach.  We love the soft white sand and the glacier formations to climb on and the contrast of colors created by the water, the sand and the rock, but we disliked the Amtrack trains that…