Tuesday, May 3, 2016

May

So I thought about abandoning this blog many times for I thought I lost the desire to write.  I used to write all the time.  I wrote through the entire first year of being a stay at home mom after Grace was born and I wrote through the entire year of becoming a homeschooling stay at home mom.  I wrote about what we were up to, the classes we were taking, the places we were going, and all the beautiful things we were learning.  Blog books fill an entire shelf of my bookshelf as a literary history of my family.  I wrote when I was happy and when I was sad.  I wrote when I was frustrated and when I was eager to begin a new chapter of my life.  Suddenly the writing stopped.  The words literally dried up and faded away.  

This year has been a hard year.  When I look back at last year (2014-2015) it is filled with the very best of homeschooling.  It is filled with high school portfolios, internships, new musical opportunities, new travel and wonderful moments that came from rich learning experiences like book clubs, writing groups, art classes, horseback riding lessons, and new puppies.  When I look back at this year (2015-2016) I see three things: pneumonia, the flu, and surgery.  Our year was derailed.  Sickness and the investment into our health took time and travel.  Time was lost on the couch and in the car going to doctor after doctor after doctor.  Sickness came in waves.  Just when we thought we were back on our feet another wave came over us and swept us out again.

Here it is May and we should be finishing up subjects but we can’t, not yet.  We have some catching up to do.  

Tucked in the trenches of motherhood were some sparkling moments, moments that hopefully shine so brightly they will shade out the not so great memories from this year.  

Wolf Conservation Class.  Oh my how we loved this class.  It was a high school level class conducted on site at a wolf conservation center in New York.  We watched documentaries, researched animals on the endangered list and presented findings as a brochure, worked on a lapbook about wolves, learned tracking technology, and as a result feel deeply connected to the plight of the wolf in the US.  This was not time intensive enough to qualify as a stand alone class, so it will supplement Biology.

Photography.  No words needed here.  Instagram communicates more clearly than my words ever could.  

One Year Adventure Novel.  We are ALMOST done!  Chapter 11 is almost done for both girls.  I am dreaming of the day when these stories will be printed and bound.  They are good, so good.  

Christian Movies.  For Confirmation preparation, Lilah had to work on the curriculum Decision Point.  The app is free and the videos are worthy of our time.  The accompanying workbook can be personalized any way the author wants.  We decided to use the workbook as a scrapbook of her year.  We began watching movies and we watched The War Room, Miracles from Heaven, Once I was A Beehive, What If, God’s Not Dead, Brother White, Grace Unplugged, Saving Christmas, When The Game Stands Tall, Heaven Is For Real.  Along with this came a love for worship bands.  We saw Kutless and 7th Time Down in concert and this summer we will see Chris Tomlin.  We play music 24/7 and when we encounter a hard moment in our day we bust out into song.  Grace has joined a high school youth group and learned Good Father on the piano.  We attended a missions conference and Lilah used scripture to help her get through surgery.  If I put academics aside, this area has been the biggest area of growth for not only the girls, but for our whole family and I can honestly say that I am filled with the Holy Spirit and He is working through our family.

Math.  We found Math U See, a curriculum that is working for us.  Grace has an A average in geometry.  She is studying and working hard to finish this curriculum by September.  That may not be possible, but it is our goal.  Lilah is working in pre-algebra, also with an A average, and her ability to grasp concepts has come so far this year despite not doing as much daily practice as I would have liked.  


So perhaps I will blog a bit more and see where the rest of the year brings us.  Teachable moments happen all the time, we just have to open our eyes to them and stop and appreciate them for what they are.  

8 comments:

  1. I haven't had the words I like to have lately either. I think they come and go in seasons. I hope they come back for me again, and I hope they do for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I do not want to abandon it simply because my girls enjoy the books and it is pretty amazing to look back over the past 6 years. I hope you find your words too.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to see you post. I try so hard to do it and I hate so badly that I go so long between posts. I do have things to say, I just say them on Instagram. Maybe we will both find our blog voices again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear that your muse is taking a rest and you are feeling like this year was fraught with illness. We had a year like that a few years ago. I think once your immune system is compromised you are susceptible to anything you are exposed to. Winter is so hard on the immune system. hopefully you all can strengthen up in the warm weather and heal completely and next year will be full of good health!

    As for the muse...have you read or listened to Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert? I listened to it a few months ago on audiobook while I run my errands when the girls are at their classes and i have time to myself. I just started listening to it again yesterday to get myself pumped up for filling up some {hopefully} free time this summer. I HIGHLY recommend it. The girls and I listened to Artist's Way this fall and went through the exercises - you might like that as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Artist's Way but I am not familiar with Big Magic. Thank you for the recommendation. For me it is not the words so much. I want to write, and I have been writing, in my personal journal but it is my faith journey that I am compelled to write about and that is not what I want to share here. So it is more of a conflict. I wonder if my blog is boring, or dull and if it still has a purpose. My girls tell me they love when I post and they love the books we have dating all the way back to the very beginning of this journey, so I will do my best to honor them and keep at it.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry it's been such a hard year, my friend. I have missed your words here, but I totally understand as well. I have toyed with taking a step back from my blog, too, yet I continue on. Sometimes the lack of comments on each post makes me think that perhaps no one is reading- that my blog has run its course. It's hard to tell. I don't feel so bad if I don't post but then I think I'll see this year to the end and then decide after that. Maybe I'll only post on special days, or days that just feel absolutely worthy of a post (which is kind the direction I'm in at the monment, anyway).

    When Dave and I were first married we had agreed that we'd find a new denomination and not choose ones over the other (he being raised Roman Catholic and me being raised in the UCC- two polar opposites, in all honesty). We landed at a Baptist church for awhile and I have to say that there was a lot we loved (the worship band being a main one, the large amount of young married couples being the main other as well). Eventually there was some stuff that we didn't jive with so off we went to find our next church home. After four years, and a couple of churches in between, we finally found our church home and while we love it there I will say that I do find myself missing the amazing music and the wonderful childcare/Sunday School area for kids (and the Sunday School classes for the adults) that we came to adore from our time at the Baptist church!

    I have many of the movies you mentioned in my Amazon streaming queue and am looking forward to watching them (hopefully soon)! I am sure that the Chris Tomlin concert will be wonderful! Have you heard the new Nichole Nordeman song "Slow Down"? If not, get ready to cry!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clcNB_EUao8

    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made some huge choices, our whole family has actually and we are in a place right now where we are closer to God and getting to know Jesus in a way that we never did before. We have made friends and attended events and been welcomed in a way that humbles me and at times saddens me for I have wanted this for so very long and did not discover it until now.

      Delete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails