Skip to main content

In the details

Over and over I tell myself that God is in the details.  I think He can’t possibly know or care about the little details of my life because I am just a drop of water in the huge ocean of humanity, yet He hears me when I speak.  I was feeling a bit worn out and purposefully kept the calendar light this week.   I thought we would see a movie, visit my Aunt, and do a bit of work.  I needed to slow down in order to fill myself up.  



In an odd way, I got exactly what I said I wanted.  A nor’easter blew through Monday whipping up some crazy waves at Silver Sands State Park and my weather girl/photographer thought she could get in some driving time in windy conditions and get some cool pictures.  The Connecticut driving laws are a bit overprotective in that while under a learner’s permit, Lilah cannot be in the car while Grace is driving.  This restricts her practice and is often why Lilah is lacking in pictures lately.  I find it absurd, but rules are rules.






The wind was whipping sand everywhere and after only a few minutes I was ready to leave.  Grace got her pictures and I just wasn’t feeling quite right.  Tuesday coop was cancelled due to trees down in several towns and a school cancellation in the town where coop is held.  This was a blessing because I felt like crud.  We watched chemistry, watched the final lesson in Dave Ramsey’s Generation Go series, watched a Great Course photography lesson, and Lilah finished Miss Peregrine’s School for Peculiar Children (she rated it 5 stars).  Our chemistry lesson was so interesting, we watched another Wednesday before going to see The Redemption of Gavin Stone (I give it 5 stars).  At the movie, Grace didn’t feel quite right.  Thursday kept us home as she struggled with a fever and body aches and I cancelled piano for Friday.  



In the past weeks like this would have stressed me out.  Did we do enough?  Did we learn enough?  Now I roll with it.  Lilah has been reading like crazy.  She is up late every night reading, and has had her fill of at home days.  I have been able to catch up on things I had outstanding.  We planned our late winter vacation.  We took naps.  We ate lots of soup and drank lots of tea.  We watched Heartland.  We got a calligraphy lesson in and lots of practice.  Our life is as if we never knew what school was.  Eight years into homeschooling and I know us.  I know that God is in the details and this week was clearly a week for rest.  

Grace's picture:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defending Homeschooling

Yesterday I was called to defend my homeschooling to someone who did not know me well and does not understand the concept of homeschooling well.  Some of the questions that were asked included:


How do I grade?How do I know they are on track?How do I teach what I do not know?How do I have patience?How will they go to college?
These are fairly typical questions and I should have been able to answer them with ease and confidence but I sensed judgment and it shook me a bit.  After all these years, I thought I was beyond being shaken up by questions, especially when asked respectfully.  To be fair, the questioner has a very traditional outlook on education and has two children younger than mine, who already know which Ivy League schools they wish to attend.

So how did I respond?


































Grades - we don't grade.  I have gone back and forth over 
the years about grading but I wrote a post a few days ago that sums up my thinking on grades.  It took Grace a year and a half to make it thought algebra an…

Art Journaling: Quotes

If you saw our group’s art journal pages on display, I wonder if you would be able to guess how old the artists are.






Their work is mature beyond their years.  





I wonder why this is...Is it talent?  It is interest?  Is it passion?  
I don’t know.  What I do know is that magic happens when they are together...  


...and that I love every single minute of it.  


Shelling in Coastal Connecticut, Rhode Island

It is a wise father that knows his own child. - William Shakespeare


Our family has always embraced each other’s interests.  We almost take them on as our own.  I have attended two weather conferences with Grace.  I have run a baking camp for Lilah.  It is truly wonderful when we discover an interest that we all share. For us, this interest is shelling.  
You can’t shell as home.  After a long and at times difficult week, Greg and I decided to skip our normal Saturday routine of food shopping, running errands and having a nice family dinner at home, in favor of exploring beaches in Connecticut and Rhode Island.  We threw food into a cooler, grabbed water bottles, our microscope, shelling bags (mesh laundry bags), and headed north.
Our first stop was Rocky Neck State Park.  We have mixed feelings about this beach.  We love the soft white sand and the glacier formations to climb on and the contrast of colors created by the water, the sand and the rock, but we disliked the Amtrack trains that…