Friday, February 24, 2017

Dresses for Swaziland Update



My assistant turned co-teacher brought in her serger.  It makes those really cool seams on your clothes that make the edge look bound.  In fact, that is what it does, it binds and cuts the edge of a piece of fabric so that when you fold and sew it into a seam, it will not unravel.  She taught the girls how to use it.

Because this was a special occasion, and we would not have this machine at our next coop meeting, we created an assembly line to prepare all the pillowcases that were donated.  Grace ironed.  I cut the seam off the bottom and cut the arm holes.  Another student did all the serging.  We zipped through a large stack of pillowcases.  






When we meet again next week, all that will be required is the sewing of the arm seams, and creating the drawstrings.  By working together we ensured that a much larger donation will be made to our friends in Swaziland than I was expecting!  



1 comment:

  1. This project is just the very best thing. I would LOVE to be able to do it with you. Just the thoughts of these beautiful dresses going to girls in Africa fills my heart with such joy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails