Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The word no parent ever wants to hear

What do you say when there are no words to express your feelings? How do you comfort a friend who has just heard the most dreaded words a parent can hear? How do you explain to your child what their friend is about to experience? These are all the questions I am asking myself today.

Today I found out that one of my daughter’s best friends has lymphoma. My daughter is not one to express herself eloquently. In fact, she tends to hold her emotions inside and saves them for a time when she is better able to process them. Unfortunately I have no idea how long it will take. Sometimes it is hours, sometimes weeks. Her sister L will be her guide through this. L realizes the impact this will have on their family and on her sister’s friendship. L is helping her to make a card and write the words that G cannot find. L will take her sister’s book list to the store tomorrow and find amazing stories to give to her friend who devours books like my kids devour ice cream. L encouraged her sister to give her own money towards this gift. I have amazing children. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses. In our dinner conversation tonight I saw them support one another. Our table talk included people we know in our family and in our church community who have successfully conquered cancer. We give thanks that this type is well known and treatable. We are fortunate that we have access to some of the best medical facilities in the country. We pray. Please pray with us.


3 comments:

  1. This just sucks. I wish I had words, but I could not imagine this as a parent. It is a heartbreaker. I am sending all the good thoughts I can muster to this child and the family. Children are strong and resilient, and that is a powerful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will pray for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is doing very well, all things considered. He is responding well to treatment, has missed very little school and has shown us all what a remarkable person he is. The very definition of courageous.

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...