We are still struggling to help G make the choice to homeschool next year. I thought we came to a point where she was comfortable giving it a try for 5th grade but then she second guessed herself and I backed off. She is wrestling with the choice. She wants to be in two places at once. Every day she checks the calendar and will ask about what L has planned. I cannot pull her out of school for every opportunity her sister has. I would like to, but the catch up work is too overwhelming at school. I am afraid that it also sends mixed messages to G, letting her believe she can have all the fun of homeschooling and return to school for the academics. I know she is enjoys her days in school. I know she likes her teacher this year. She has great friends. She is a A student in all subjects. So then why do I want to risk upsetting this?
Today G again asked me what she should do. I told her if she stays in school then every time she looks at the calendar or hears about a cool lesson or class L is attending she will always feel the “what if” feeling. If she tries one year she will know what it is like and if she does not want to continue on she can return to school. I told her it would be a shame to let fear keep her from something potentially amazing. I reassured her that I understood that fear and would help her work though it.
I thought the best thing to do was to back off, not let her fret about it for another 6 weeks. I thought we could make the final decision right before school ends, when the reality of 5th grade (different teachers, longer school day, increased homework, no snack) feels more real. I know that I need to make a parental decision and take this out of her hands. I just don’t know at what point to do that. Either way, she is going to have anxiety. It breaks my heart to see her struggle. I wish I had someone in this same situation give me advice on how to handle.