Saturday, June 5, 2010

To The Children of The United States

To the Children of Takaimura


The world is going to end soon, my husband likes to say,

For the people that inhabit earth will make it go away.

The mother’s fury, the children’s rage, too powerful to deny,

Will consume us and exhume us and soon will make us fly.

Today I might believe him, might give credence to his call,

For in this world, we justify the means to it all.

We forget our fragile mother when we focus on her strength,

It would be wiser to ponder if our actions give her length.

The children of Chernobyl and those of Three Mile Isle,

Are joined now by another group who cannot ever smile.

Wake the children, let them out, it cannot be too soon,

Look above us there is rising a beautiful new moon.

Our mother is crying softly, how can it be that you can’t hear?

Listen very carefully, or we might just disappear.


I wrote this poem over 10 years ago after a nuclear accident in Japan, but with recent events in the Gulf of Mexico I have been thinking of it again. This disaster scares me. The fragile balance between consumer’s needs and nature’s ecosystem has been disrupted. I have no faith in our government to handle this crisis. How much longer can this continue before the scales are tipped to a point that life in the Gulf will be forever changed? How can we do this to our Earth, our home, our children’s home? I am scared. What are you doing to decrease reliance on oil? For not only is this BP’s problem, this is our problem too.

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I are consumed with this as well. We are infuriated by certain CEOs and government officials attempt to make light of it. This will affect all of our lives and our children's lives. I, too am afraid, it seems as though people have learned nothing or little by the collapse of Wall Street last year or the explosion of the housing bubble...and we can't help but feel that it is all happening because of greed, greed and more greed.

    When Jason & I first lived together we were over a half hour from a supermarket, as such I learned to do all of our shopping in one day, traveling to the furthest store first and making my way back, doing the perishable groceries last. Now that we live near a grocery store, I still do a weekly round of errands, and if we need things in between, we walk or ride our bikes to get those few items. Otherwise we make due until the next week. It's not a bad way to live, gives us more time as a family, more time to pursue other things. People need to reduce their reliance on oil, they need to change their idea from reflecting their self image in how expensive and large their SUV is to gaining self awareness and being proud of reducing their carbon footprint.

    The BP CEO's phone number and email address are floating around on facebook, if you are interested, I can give it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just find it inconceivable that if there is technology available to drill one mile beneath the water's surface, there is no technology readily available to correct a leak or break. Did they not have the foresight to plan for worst case scenario? Isn't that normal business planning? I just cannot wrap my brain around the fact that this is what....day 44??!!

    I like to know what is happening in the world but I go through times when the television is just off for days. I can't take in the world issues like N.Korea, Israel and Afghanistan, coupled with the oil spill, unemployment figures and global warming. It makes me feel sick.

    I am planning for Grace's literature study and I just read a children's book called Julia Gillian and the art of knowing. I think every child should read it. The main character, Julia, feels this way every time she sees her parents read the newspaper. She is scared to live her life. She learns that we can become paralyzed by fear or look for the positives and keep moving forward. This is what I am telling myself - look for positives.

    We dramatically decreased oil deliveries with our wood stove (we have only used trees that have fallen from storms or were cut down through town projects and hope to keep it that way), we drive a Prius, we are growing our own garden, belong to a CSA to help local farmers, walk to school, do errands weekly, turn off lights, recycle. I have to believe that they will fix the break in the pipe, that they will be able to clean up the oil, they nature will regenerate over time, our way of life will change but hopefully for the better.

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...