Tuesday, August 17, 2010

10 Things about Me

I was reading a new blog I discovered at Unique Family Vision and loved the way the author captured the important things about who she is. Since I have a few new faces in my followers area, I thought it might be nice to do the same.

  1. I am convinced that God steered me towards becoming a teacher so that someday I would find the confidence within myself to teach my own children at home.
  2. Before I was a teacher I worked in the relocation industry, mostly international. One of my favorite clients was the United Nations. At my desk was an open World Atlas where I would highlight the many countries I moved people to and from. To this day, it still haunts me that I helped relocate thirty UN relief workers to Rwanda just weeks before the massacre. I still think of them and pray that they made it out alive.
  3. I never thought I would be a stay at home Mom. I always held the belief that women must be able to support themselves and their children at all times. It was hard to let that go and trust in my husband and our relationship. For my family, it was the best choice I could have made. For after having my sister as a care giver, there was no way I could put my child in daycare.
  4. I would love to adopt an older child someday. I was approached by someone I know who works in the foster care system and had preliminary meetings to inquire about the adoption process. Greg is not fully committed to the idea of adoption and I hope that someday he will be. Perhaps when our children are older....
  5. My husband is the kindest most generous person I know. He has supported my every desire; to quit my job to pursue graduate school full time, to leave my career in teaching for a career in parenting and to completly shift our family’s way of life with our choice to homeschool. He has given me all I need and just about everything I want and for that I am ever grateful.
  6. For over a year I volunteered at a homeless shelter. There were nights I would come home and cry for the families that do not know stability, sobriety, and unconditional love. I learned so much from this experience.
  7. My only great travel adventure has been to China where I studied karate. I went with several people from my dojo as part of a cultural exchange. As part of this program, I studied with Tai Chi experts, worked out at the Beijing Sports University and actually performed in front of the Shaolin Monks.....at the Shaolin Temple! I walked the Great Wall and visited the Temple of the Sun. I longed to be one of the many couples in Beijing, bringing their newly adopted baby home.
  8. I have lived in my home for over ten years. I have no desire to leave it but I have a list a mile long of what I would like if I ever did more. Maybe room for chickens........
  9. I have to always have a book going. I am always looking for recommendations. Right now I seem to be in a children’s lit phase, trying to keep up with my daughter’s reading. Some books I have recently read and enjoyed are: The Princess Academy, Rules, and The Year of Ms. Agnes. I am also reading about how to keep my worm compost healthy, how to knit and how to cook gluten free! What are you reading? Would you recommend it?
  10. I have come to believe that we have friends for different reasons. After a particularly painful ending to a close friendship last year my sister in law shared with me that some friends are with us for a reason, others just for a season. I am blessed to have a wonderful friend of 15 years who I speak to at least once a week. I know that if ever I need someone, she would be there for me as I would be for her. Friendships are funny things, sometimes strong, sometimes weak, some are sister-like, others are toxic. Part of my growth has been to learn the difference, understand their purpose and nurture their development.

  11. This year has been about change, growth and education, not only for me but for all the members of our home. I enjoy sharing bits and pieces of it on my blog and am so grateful and thankful for the advice I have been given, the suggestions I have received and the new friends I have made!

5 comments:

Theresa said...

I loved reading that! When we get back from vacation, I want to do the same thing! We have more in common than I realized! I completely believe that God has steered me toward this as well. I never thought I would be a stay at home mom for all of the same reasons. I would love to adopt a child; I actually used to pray that we would adopt a child. But Jason is not on board. Our church is part of a county-wide homeless shelter, offering a rotating place for homeless families every 7 weeks and the girls and I volunteer there. We make dinner, share dinner and play with the kids or help with homework. In the spring and summer, Jason brings the grill and we bbq hamburgers and hotdogs, make cole slaw and potato salad and bring the church tables outside for a bbq. In cooler weather, I go to the church a few days ahead, tell the people what my budget is and we come up with a meal that we make together. It is something that our whole family looks forward to and gets SO much out of. I could go on and on about the experiences we have had over the last--wow, 7 years!

I too, always have to have a book going. I joke that before a snowstorm, other people run out for milk and bread and I run to Barnes & Noble or the library. I get a little anxious if I don't have a book to read. I read books with a summer setting in summer. Right now, I am almost finished with Elin Hilderbrand's "Summer People" and I HIGHLY recommend it, ESPECIALLY in light of your view on friendships and your having volunteered in a homeless shelter. It is a great book. The next two books on my list are "Red Hook Road" by Ayelet Waldman and "The Last Time I Saw YOu" by Elizabeth Berg.

I could go on and on about how I agree with #10! I had a friendship with a family member of Jason's--she is the only person in either of our families that has kids the same age as ours and I really wanted to nurture that cousin relationship. It's such a long story...I may tell it sometime, except that I am really trying to put it all behind me and move on. It was a toxic relationship. Sad, because it is family, but in all honesty, Jason and even his mother warned me.

Sorry for the looooong response! I can't wait until we meet in person!

Jessica said...

When you get home, let's set a new date. Lilah just asked me yesterday when she would meet your girls!

Our plan to start lessons fell through with Grace in a walking book and Lilah with stitches. This week was filled with doctor appointments. I am sticking to my original plan of day trips the week their friends go back to school and we will officially start the day after Labor Day. I want to make NYC one of those day trips!

Turkana W said...

I am so glad to read this! I feel like I know so much about you now and not just surface things, but things that matter. I would love to adopt and I went to school for teaching too and now I know the desire to teach was there because God wanted me to homeschool! We both have traveled overseas and I love reading. :) Thanks for stopping back by my blog and letting me know you made this post. I can't wait to read more :)

Turkana
@familypurpose on twitter
www.facebook.com/uniquefamilyvision

Stacey said...

Hey Jessica,
Thanks for stopping by my blog and I'm so glad this was up so I could get to know you better. We had an older foster child before we had our own kids. We didn't have a great experience so my husband isn't too keen on giving it another try. I, on the other hand, could do it again under different circumstances. I'll be watching for your journey!!!

Following you back too. Blessings on your new year!

Jessica said...

Turkana and Stacey,

This was my first blog hop and I really enjoyed connecting with others who share so many of my interests, lifestyle choices and values. I am looking forward to getting to know you better!

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...