Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Book on a Nook

Remember before children, when love was new and it kept you up until the break of dawn?  Tired we would roll out of bed, blindly stumble into the kitchen to make coffee and hop in the car to the place we spent 10 hours a day, then come home and do it all over again?  I am there again.   
You see, I have fell in love. 
Literally.  
It was unexpected and passionate.  
This is a love that keeps me up until all hours of the night.   Shocking?   Perhaps.  Especially since I am not in love with a person.  I am in love with a thing.....my daughter’s Nook.   Not only have I discovered that have made the switch from paper to electronic reading material, I am loving the books I am reading: The Hunger Game trilogy.  I cannot put it down.  So when my husband of 13 years  wonders why it is that I  fall asleep at 8:30 on a typical night, too exhausted to make it upstairs, this book keeps me up until the middle of the night?  He will never get the power of a good book.  Our love for reading is on two different levels.  It is my lifeline.  This time I am drawn into a world called Panem.
In between charging the Nook to guarantee it holds a full charge for me, um...for Grace and trying to figure out how to homeschool two girls with no drama (not to mention the housework, the errands and a full load of lessons) we did find time to end our week on a high note.  
Literally!



 

5 comments:

Theresa said...

Love the pictures of the girls in the trees! :)

Everyone that reads the Hunger Games trilogy comes in to tell us how amazing they are. They creep me out a little...but I may just have to try them since everyone is so enamored.

I am having a hard time considering the switch to e-reading. Jason was reading Steven King's latest tome and said we really should buy a Nook because the actual book was so cumbersome. Sometimes I think it would be neat (like you, books are my lifeline and I have panic attacks about not having a book...so a Nook would possibly allow access to all sorts of options)...but I just can't wrap my head around it.

Jessica said...

Theresa, I could not imagine myself using an e-reader. I love the smell of books, the way they feel in my hand and the sound pages make when they turn. I will never give up books completely but I do love this new option. Books are cheaper, easier to transport and I don't have to make another pile to keep them in!

The Hunger Games is the first book that has caused me nightmares. I found it disturbing yet enthralling. This genre is not my favorite. I don't read many books set in the future and steer clear of anything apocalyptic but this is so subtly realistic to me that it just drew me in. I need to see how the conflict is resolved. I cannot predict the ending but I am about a third into the second book. Thankfully the second one is not as violent as the first. Violent is not really the right word but I am at a loss to find how to describe this book. All I can say is I am very tired!

Karen said...

That is the coolest tree ever! Your girls look like they are having a blast!

I am a voracious reader and like Theresa, about freak out if I don't have something to read. I have reread books time and time again and in a pinch even read a KEI book! One of the greatest feelings in the world is having a stack of books I can't wait to read.

I haven't been able to get into the ebooks either. I love to read in the tub, which is hard on my poor books, and can't take a bath w/o my book! I have an Iphone and I HATE reading on that. I am sure it is different because Kindle, Nook, etc are larger but I do like my paper books. Maybe if I could actually try it I would like it more than I thought.

I have always been a Stephen King fan also. I am so going to have to check out The Hunger Games. I was at the library today and I could NOT remember the name of the book you were reading. I almost logged onto a library computer and went to your blog. LOL

Hope this is a calm, wonderful week full of learning and laughter. :)

Marcie said...

Jessica--let me first ask how you took those amazing pictures? They are fabulous. Love them.

Second, If I hadn't known better I would have thought I had written that first paragraph in your comment. We have been reading Swiss Family Robinson on Stanza on the iPhone. Let me just say I find it very difficult. I prefer the real book.

Third, I have never heard of these books, so I am going to check them out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jessica said...

Karen, I am praying for a calm week but I know that the most important thing is that I am calm. So I am letting the girls wake when they want to, and we will just see where the day takes us......

Marcie, Thank you! I got a new camera and am still figuring out how to use it. I have a Cannon Rebel T2i and I used the setting that extends the aperture because I love the way the colors look on that setting. Other than that it was just luck!

Check out the Hunger Games, It would be very cool to have a blog book club!

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...