Saturday, September 11, 2010

My Heart is Full




Our first official week of homeschooling is complete.  What a busy, thrilling, exhausting, exciting week it was!  
I could and probably should write about each subject and how we approached it and reflect on what went well and what could have gone better. We had great moments and not so great moments that I could and probably should write about ....but this week there is just one thing that I want to share.  

Last night my heart was full. We celebrated Grace’s 10th birthday.   In my living room were 11 children ranging in age from 7 to 11 all piled on blankets, pillows and couches watching the first Harry Potter movie.  Five of these children are homeschooled.  Six of them are not.  Together they ate three large pizzas, three batches of popcorn, countless glasses of juice and water and of course, cake and ice cream.  

The presents my daughter received were thoughtful.  We talked about forgoing presents all together and asking instead for donations to the animal shelter or our local community center. But they have not had a friends party in so long that they pleaded for gifts and I obliged.  She was given the molt of a tiny horseshoe crab housed in a plastic box settled on a cloud of cotton balls.   She was given an owl puppet just like that of her dear friend.  She was given books to read and games to play.  She was given a homemade box decorated with the Marine Corps insignia loaded with note cards just waiting to be written in and sent to her Uncle in Afghanistan.  Her gifts spoke of the love that is shared between these children and our families.
When it came time for cake, her friend played Happy Birthday on her guitar, having just learned the song especially for Grace.  She sang for her and when she was done her friends, both old and new, burst into applause.

My bigges fear of removing Grace from public school would be that these freindships would suffer.  Last night showed me while a school building may be the place she met some of these children, the friendships can grow and deepen outside of the walls of school.  She successfully blended two groups of children.  On my couch were two girls, both 7, one homeschooled and one not, chatting away happy as could be.  The thing that makes this significant is one of these children is easily overwhelmed in a large group and prefers quieter, smaller settings.  She loved the energy of this group and possibly made a new friend last night.
I looked at this group, at my daughter nestled on the floor next to her best friends, and told Greg my heart is full.  He suggested we do a movie night every month.  Yes....I think we will!

10 comments:

Karen said...

I am sitting here smiling. I am so happy that things are going go great. Honestly Jessica, I knew it would. You can just feel the love and commitment you have for your girls oozing out of your posts.

As long as you let Grace and Lilah nurture their friendships with all their friends they will flourish.

Yay for the 1st week of HSing. And Happy Birthday Grace!!!

Hugs.

Nicole said...

This is our first year of homeschooling too. I have four children, three of whom are still in public school (10th, 1st and kindergarten). But my 13 year old son wanted and needed this change. We are having a great time!

Theresa said...

Great post! I am so glad that everything is going so well.

I feel that since we opened our hearts and minds and made the decision to homeschool, other things are just falling into place so easily.

Shannon said...

What great friends!

Jessica said...

Nicole, I just left you a comment on your blog. I am looking forward to reading more of your posts!

Jessica said...

Shannon, Your site looks like it has amazing resources for someone new to homeschooling! I can't wait to look through it.

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Thank you for dropping by from the Weekly Wrap-up linky! I enjoyed my visit here. So glad that your first week of school went well! And what a blessing that your daughter has such great friends!

Tiffany said...

What a great post! Sounds like things are pretty sweet. :o)

Jessica said...

Thanks Tiffany! It was a week that had ups and downs. Some days I will write about the challenges but today I just wanted to end the week by sharing a really special night.

Tiffany said...

Precious that she received the stationary. I am also pretty impressed with the crab molt. Cute. Glad she, and all of you, had such a wonderful time!

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...