Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Sound of Music




My Nan loved to play the piano. When I expressed an interest in learning and showed promise, she sent one of her pianos to my house for me to practice on.  I fondly remember my teacher, an elderly blind man, who would somehow know instinctively every time I peeked at my fingers.  When he passed away after a fall I was crushed and I lost a bit of the love I had for my lessons.  That is how powerful a good teacher can be. 
The piano remained in my family at my parent’s house until my daughters took an interest in learning to play.  Greg and I my moved the piano to our house and I called a tuner.  I was distraught to hear the tinkling sound of plastic parts raining down on the inside of the piano when the tuner opened it up.  It would have been more cost effective to buy the girls a new piano than to repair the one I had used for all those years.  Given that the brand of piano was made in the 40s and 50s with plastic parts, it was not a good investment to repair.  We got rid of the piano.  My girls practiced on a keyboard.  It was just not the same.
After my Nan was no longer able to stay in her house and both she and my Grandfather moved in with my Aunt, there was the question of what to do with her other piano.  The one in this picture........

me (second from left) circa 1975


Grace today
My Dad loaded it onto his trailer and moved it from Massachusetts to my house.  It is exceedingly heavy.   I hoped that all the effort was worth it.  All the keys worked, it just seemed out of tune.  Again the tuner came and opened it up for a look.  He said I had a great piano that would last a few more generations if treated with care.  The sound of music began to fill my house again.
One of the beauties of homeschooling is that Grace (Lilah is on hiatus from lessons) can practice whenever she wants.  Being home has allowed her to develop her passion for the piano.  We are hoping to give her performing opportunities but I am struggling to find appropriate venues.  The senior center will not allow children because of legal liabilities.  Nursing homes will not return my calls.  Her school only has two recitals a year and she loves to have an audience.  Here are the pieces she is working on now.  Enjoy.

video


video

4 comments:

Karen said...

I love, love, love when life comes full circle.

I can't hear Grace playing! I can see but not hear. I wanna hear it! WAH!

:)

Paul said...

Clap clap clap clap clap clap..Enjoyed it Gracie. Keep on practicing and playing. It is called playing the piano because that's what it is! When you enjoy what you are doing it is play not work.

Your Nan and Gramp both enjoyed it. They don't show up in the video but they are right behind you... smiling so proud.

Theresa said...

What a great story and the sound of her playing brings back soooo many wonderful memories!!! I just love that she loves an audience, my girls are so shy and get nervous with an audience, I think it's fabulous that she doesn't! I love the sound of a piano!

Jessica said...

Thanks for listening! She loves to share her music.

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...