Saturday, December 11, 2010

Our Accomplishments

We took a break from academics this week.  The girls needed time to unwind, relax and recover from illness.
Monday was spent on the floor in front of the fire resting.  Grace came down with a horrid cold and Lilah’s cough was worse.  They listened to me read a chapter of Percy Jackson and many weather videos were watched.  Store was played with the American Girl dolls and the cash register.  Flute lessons were cancelled and bedtime was early - for all of us.
Tuesday brought piano lessons for Grace and sewing lessons for Lilah.  Her quilt is stunning.  I am so very, very proud of my little girl.  The fabrics she chose compliment one another and the colors are mature and remind me of something middle eastern.  The base colors are green, gold and purple and the designs are infused with silver and gold threads.  Susy and Lilah spent one whole lesson doing the math, laying out the squares and creating the pattern of the quilt.  They showed me the abcd pattern which they mapped out in grids.  A, b, and c squares are done.  D should be done on her next lesson.  Lilah irons the seams and prepares them for assembly.  I told Lilah that Tuesday I will bring my camera and do a blog entry on her quilt.    After sewing we had a trip to the orthodontist which resulted in the addition of elastics to Lilah’s braces.  She was not prepared for this and it hurt.  She cried.  I almost cried with her.  To sooth her feelings and her sore mouth, we headed out for ice cream milkshakes.  Lilah began a math project with me and the little girl I tutor weekly.  I wanted to do the “Your Business Math Series: Pet Shop” with her but the math is too advanced for a 7 year old.  So I created my own!  To help on time, I downloaded pets that one might find in a pet store.  My little friend chose the animals she wanted, gave each a price and began to color them in.  Each week I will use her pet store to review some of the math she is working on in school.  This week we used it for ordering numbers.  Next week we will create recepts for animals purchased and add the numbers together.  Because she wants to be a vet when she grows up, she was very excited about this project.  Lilah created hers alongside us.  She enjoys working with us during the hour.
Wednesday was our trip to New Haven for the concert. 
Thursday we spent the day with our friends over at Frog Creek.  We enjoyed hot pumpkin cake, collected ice from the creek, played dress up, and just hung out.  It felt so good.  Grace had her first basketball practice Thursday night.  Her hard work at several workshops over the past year paid off.  She enjoyed herself and woke up sore Friday morning!
Friday we spent time at church.  The girls played Life and other games in the youth room.  I began my project of painting murals on the walls of the room that was generously given to the teens to start a youth group.  This will be a multi, multi step project. The first part is to paint the entry to the room and  outline a dove and hands and the word Welcome.  The kids will paint it in and stamp their hands on the walls.  This needs to be done in one week.  I have a feeling we are going to be bringing our math and reading to the youth room during the week!  Friday afternoon we met up with many of our friends at a local library for a book talk and a craft project.  The book talk was excellent.  Grace walked away with several books she would like to read.  I was so grateful because finding just right books for Grace can be a challenge.  The librarian recommended The Talent Show by Dan Gutman (which is about the aftermath of a tornado), For This Land (of the My America Series), and Williwaw! by Tom Bodett, a survival story set in Alaska.  She is already several chapters into The Talent Show.  I cannot express how much this warms my heart.  Grace gratiously picked a book that is just right for me....Twice Upon A Marigold, since she knows how much I enjoyed Once Upon A Marigold.  My dear friend invited my girls to her house for an evening playdate.  When Greg got off the train he and I joined them for a grown up playdate.  I learned a new card game.  The first card game I really like and played well!  Needless to say we all went to bed VERY late and slept in Saturday morning.
Saturday closed out the week with the decorating of our tree.  We waited until Greg returned home from a business trip.  This is something we do together every year.  One of us cannot be missing.  This was followed by dog grooming, baking and a lovely visit from both our friends, and our Gram.  
I know many families take the whole month of December off.  Next year I will plan better.  I want to keep plugging away at our mythology study.  Having childen home full time during December, it is easy to get pulled in many different directions.  The holiday events take time out of our week and with multiple disruptions it may be better to simply resume in January rested, fresh and ready to go.  This first year is a learning experience for all of us.  To think it has been just one year.  This week last year, I sent in my letter of withdrawal for Lilah and she left school on December 23rd.  One year.  The changes have been so unexpectedly greater than I ever imagined or hoped for.  Not just in Lilah, in the four of us.  This journey has changed us, our expections, our temperments, our friendships, our philosophies, our relationships, our educations, basically our whole lives.

7 comments:

  1. We were in the front row at the concert and saw you and Amy up in the balcony. Funny we ate at Moe's in Fairfield that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This journey has changed us, our expections, our temperments, our friendships, our philosophies, our relationships, our educations, basically our whole lives." That is awesome. May your second year be wonderful as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Just wanted to let you know that my blog address changed to www.juiceboxesandwipes.blogspot.com.
    Hope you had a great weekend!
    Nicki
    (formerly Growing Blessings)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great week! Glad to hear the girls are feeling better.

    I can't wait to see pictures of Lilah's quilt! So glad Grace found some books to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have so loved reading about your first half of HSing. I have been with you, cheering you on every step of the way. I can't wait to see the quilt, Kei would love that! What is the "Pet Shop Business" thing? I am about to google it. That sounds fun too!

    I didn't know you before you HSed, but I love all the wonderful things you and your girls do together. You and Theresa's blog sometimes makes me wish I had another little girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicki,
    I have your new site on my blog roll!

    Theresa,
    We have moved from head colds to stomach flu! Yuck.

    Rosemarie,
    I hope we run into you soon. My girls would love to play!

    SWAH,
    Thank you for your kind comment.

    Karen,
    I will email you the link for the pet shop math.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a busy week! And now I want warm pumpkin cake! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...