Saturday, February 5, 2011

Cool Beans!

Another weird connection happened today that linked curricula.  We are now into Chapter 2 of Apologia Botany.  It is about seeds.  We learned that in King Tutenkamen’s tomb were seeds laying dormant for over 3,000 years.  These seeds were planted and grew into viable plants.  The seeds from these plants were harvested and today plants are growing as direct descendants from plants in ancient Egypt.
Lilah has studied Ancient Egypt.  Her eyes perked up.  “Howard Carter discovered the tomb!  He is in my Book of Centuries!”  Did I expect botany to link so nicely to our Story of the World: The Ancient?  Certainly not.  I am continually amazed when this happens.
What is even more amazing is my dear friend and partner in this botany “class” is actually trying to get her hands on some of these seeds for our very own children to plant.  Even if it does not come to fruition, how very cool is that??!!


4 comments:

mamak said...

That is awesome! I also am amazed when that happens, but it really is one big connected web!

Jessica said...

It really is. In school the girls (and we) were taught little bits of lots of different things but rarely we were taught anything in depth until at least middle school. Now that we can spend months on just one subject, the connections come fast and furious and I just marvel at them! It never gets old for me!

Karen said...

Again it is one of my FAVORITE parts of homeschooling. In my perfect curriculum everything would be linked together. I still think the best way to do that is by dates. Start at the beginning and branch out to all subjects.

Love your botany class!

mamak said...

I think the product motto for American public education should be " Jack of all trades, master of none". You know it's good to know all these little tid bits, right? Too bad Jepardy isn't a corporation with health care benefits.

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...