Thursday, February 24, 2011

Humbled and Honored

Sometimes I struggle with what to write about.  I don’t want to become redundant with posts carrying the same topic throughout.  Thoughts have come slowly this week.  Probably because we have been getting back on track since the past three weeks have thrown us for a loop.  We have been enjoying a quiet week at home, with our usual outside activities.  The great thing about homeschooling is just because schools are off, my girls still get their pottery class, piano class and botany lesson with their friends!
Grace made us breakfast - all by herself!

What a great way to start the day!

My favorite bird - a cardinal!


Jen at Forever, For Always, No Matter What, notified me today that my blog made the current Top 50 Homeschooling Blogs list, with my dear friend at Frog Creek.  I am honored and humbled.  I did not start this blog to sell ads or become a featured writer on another bigger blog.  I began it to show my friends and family that the choice Greg and I were making to educate our children in a non-mainstream way was viable.  I wanted to prove that they will still be “social”, if fact, more social than they had been in school.  I needed to validate my decision in some small way, if only to myself.  
I have been asked why I share my experience.  At first I just wanted to give other parents who were struggling with the decision to withdraw their children from the public school system a frame of reference on what to expect.  Most of my friend’s children never went to school and many blogs do not have the experience of withdrawing a 5th grader, a child deeply entrenched in the policies and procedures of a system.  I knew it would have helped me if I could have found a blog like this.  So I shared it.  
At times I struggle with the sharing part.  In a previous post Grace called me on sharing too much.  I have stepped back from the personal stories and refocused my blog on our homeschooling experience, the original intention of the blog.  My personal reflections on family issues are tucked away in my personal journal to share with my girls at a later date.
This month I have been slow to blog.  The kitchen renovation took up so much time and energy.  Now I am focused on catching up on work we did not get to.  I NEED to finish Percy Jackson before I chuck the book out the window.  I need to put my house back together and have one room left that is still cluttered with displaced kitchen stuff.  I need to go back to using my alarm clock!  I need to exercise my dogs.  I need to exercise myself!
During this mini-break from blogging I have been thinking about possible upcoming posts.  I had an interesting conversation with my friends about homeschooling vs. Tiger Parenting.  My girls and I have talked about what is happening in Wisconsin and their little brains thought it was the same as what is happening in Libya.  I realized I need to find a fair and balanced current events newsletter for them. Not Time for Kids, I think that is biased.  But something that will help keep them up to date with happenings in the world and introduce them to news reporting.  We also have some cool events coming up like the Flower Show for Botany, a Beach Clean Up organized by Grace, a Girl Scout trip to the Capital, and a food drive.  
My goal for 2011 is to keep blogging about our experience.  I am starting to feel like an seasoned homeschooler but in reality it has been just over one year since we started this journey and we have a long way to go.......
Thank you for reading.  Thank you for commenting.  Your words of support, guidance, and wisdom help guide my journey.  I have learned so much from your experiences.  Thank you for the technical help, the creative input and the critiques you have given me.  Thank you for extending your friendship on a level beyond just a blog.  There are some of you that I feel like we have just had a virtual cup of coffee together when we comment back and forth.  How I wish we could make that a real cup of coffee someday....

6 comments:

Jenny said...

I found you through the top 50 homeschooling blogs. I appreciate your honesty and your readiness to step back when needed and then resume. I am your newest follower...stop by my place and return the favor.

Jessica said...

Jenny - Thanks! I will stop by yours as well!

Tom/Tabitha said...

I don't remember how I found you, I think through a link on another homeschooling blog. I just enjoy reading about others' experiences with homeschooling and learning as a family. Thank you for sharing!

Juiceboxes and Wipes said...

Jessica,
PLEASE keep sharing!!!!! I love hearing about yourjourney and have already learned so much from you! I so appreciate your honesty. BTW.....I LOVE the color of your kitchen! You are so blessed!
Have a great week!
Nicki

Theresa said...

Congratulations! that is great! You are always an inspiration!

Helena said...

That's great news, Jessica! I think what you write is always heartfelt; you're always exploring, thinking, examining, planning, dreaming. You are fully IN this journey, not passive in any way. And the joy you feel when the days bring learning and happiness is palpable. That is a lovely thing to read, and be a part of. I am not surprised (but I AM so pleased) that this blog is resonating with so many!

And I can put the kettle on any time, if you ever you guys come across the sea for that real cup of coffee!

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...