10 More Ways I know It Is Working....
I love to write these posts. It shows me the progress we are making in literally changing our lives for the better. I have tackled some pretty big things in the past year and a half; we began homeschooling one, then two children, I gave up coffee (then went back to small amounts of half decaf), I gave up sugar, took up green smoothies and began worm composting. Here are 10 more ways we have beautified and healthified our family!
- We have made the switch to all natural oral care products. It killed me to have my girls use products with all that red and blue food coloring. After trying many different flavors and brands we all agreed on Tom’s Wicked Fresh toothpaste and mouthwash.
- The Green Smoothie habit has taken hold. Yesterday I made the first smoothie that Lilah approved of. She even called it “good”! The girls only drink their smoothie out of cute wine glasses we picked up for a dollar at IKEA. I think everything should be about beauty right now. Why surround ourselves with things that do not inspire and motivate us? Myself, I prefer my gigantic glass milk jug.
- This weekend Greg is building me raised garden containers for my fresh herbs (for my smoothies!). I am overjoyed at the possibility of being able to pick fresh basil and cilantro without having to drive to our community garden plot!
- My Rubbermaid container full or worms and their fresh poo will be going into that container to provide nutrients and fresh compost for the soil. Thanks worms for your hard work....it was much appreciated!
- One of my girls favorite sites is Foodfacts.com. It rates the quality of ingredients in our favorite brand name foods. Now they see why I don’t let them drink Gatorade and eat at fast food chains. Every item they looked up from McDonalds rated 0 out of 100. The newer items to our diet like Lara Bars rate in the 80s.
- I am not a non-fiction reader, I never have been. Give me a big bowl of popcorn and a novel and I am one happy Mama! My reading this month has included Green for Life which you all know I simply adored and I just finished Alkalize or Die. I am looking for Dr. Max Gerson’s biography but do not want to pay $24.00 on Amazon. Hopefully the library will have it or I can borrow it from someone. This green smoothie way of life has revolutionized my way of thinking and of eating. I do not think I could return to the old way. Just last night I had a few organic tortilla chips before bed and because my body is getting used to my smoothie, a light dinner and then nothing else, I wound up going to bed with a belly-ache. Not worth it!
- I can fit in my Paige jeans!! I can fit in my Habitual ones too. Comfortably. Since I have not increased my activity level, it is solely due to cutting out sugar and my smoothie habit. Greg has also been drinking smoothies daily and he is losing weight too. My skin is glowing, I sleep well at night, and my eating habits have completely changed.
- I am toying with the idea of vegetarianism. I could not go vegan, but I find myself wanting less and less meat. I love Dr. Praeger’s California Burgers and when I grill chicken or pork, I find that I am eating more rice and veggies than meat. I am looking to add some beans to my meals for more protein. Whether or not I make this choice is not important, but I am examining what I eat, why I eat it and why my body needs it.
- We are adding a seafood component to our CSA. (I know this contradicts what I just said... baby steps) Each week we will get a pound of fresh seafood with our share. I am looking forward to trying new foods and cooking new ways. I just wish it would get warm here already. This time last year we had our share for a few weeks......I really want my fresh greens.
- We are adding clover to our lawn. This may not seem like a big deal but we have struggled with our lawn for years. I refuse to have a commercial company come in with deadly pesticides to kill the grubs that call our yard home. We have tried everything we can think of but yet the ugly little white monsters come year after year. Our grass is patchy and dense. I hope that some clover will beautify our yard and fill in the sparse areas. A few bees might be nice as well. The girls could observe pollination up close, just not too close!
I am sure as summer arrives we will find even more ways to green our family. But for now, these are working!