Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Three Thinking Mothers Debut!








Photobucket


Sometimes I am amazed that this little piece of equipment, a rectangle no larger than a textbook, has the ability to connect me to people around the world.  I am amazed that my words have been read by hundreds, actually thousands of people.  Little ‘ol me, a not-so-newbie homeschooling Mom in Connecticut has networked with, learned from, corresponded with and become friends with fellow homeschooling Moms from here on the East Coast, throughout the Midwest,  the south, to the West Coast and even across the Pacific to Australia! 
What we are doing may not be mainstream, but it is not avant-garde either.  We are parents who for one reason or another have taken control of our children’s education.  Families I have met homeschool due to religious beliefs, extreme cases of bullying, uneasiness with the public school system, test anxiety and in my case, because my daughter asked me to.  
My daughters are finishing up their first full year of homeschooling.  I prefer to call it home learning actually, since how we learn is very unlike the school in which their learning used to take place.  We have had our share of ups and downs.  We have had learned through trial and error.  We have laughed and cried, and through it all we have learned and loved.  
The evolution of my family from a pretty typical mainstream American family of four to whatever it is we would call ourselves today (eco-friendly, whole food minded, peaceful living family of four) has been the journey of a lifetime.  
But it is not unique.  Along the way I met other families who, like me, had withdrawn their children from public school at an older age.  Our experiences were eerily similar.
  • We share similar stories about public school.
  • We were former educators who left the public and private school systems.
  • We had to deschool ourselves before we could deschool our children.
  • We struggled to find a balance between home responsibilities and educational responsibilities.
  • We did not settle upon the first curriculum or philosophy we set out with.
  • We grew much closer to our children.
  • Our children grew much closer to us.
Through it all we wrote.  We wrote about these moments and put our words out into the blogosphere.  At times we were writing through the tears but we held nothing back; the good, the bad, and the honest truth about the home learning experience.  From one another we gained a sense of understanding, of relevance, of compassion, and of encouragement which led ultimately to friendship.
This post is the beginning of another phase of my home learning evolution -- the kick off post for Three Thinking Mothers, which I will co-author with Theresa at Our Life in Words  and Mary at Homegrown Learners.  Through this joint venture we will share our experiences as we are all completing our first full year of home learning with older children who spent most of their lives in the public school system.  We will share with you our thoughts of many topics including what it was like to withdraw our children from school, what materials we just can’t live without, how we maintain a sense of balance with our home and personal lives.  We will answer questions you have and address topics of your choice.
Thank you for joining us!  Grab our button if it pleases you!  We hope that you follow along and see where this journey takes us.......



7 comments:

Theresa said...

Beautiful, Jess. It's been wonderful to watch your family's journey and I am so excited to be part of this new venture with you!

Three Thinking Mothers said...

Great post -- I love it!!

karisma said...

Love it! I left a comment over at your new place but it rudely changed my name. (So I would be Lisa if you are wondering who she is! LOL ;-) )

Jessica said...

Karisma, I have no idea why it did that but I did see your comment! I can't seem to figure out that comment format either...I have been trying unsuccessfully to upload a picture and have my name come up as Jessica! I should give it to my daughter...she could figure it out in less than 5 minutes!

Helena said...

Me too, Jess! It changed my name (or I did it—more than likely), then I accidentally reposted, then commented on the repost, um, twice, so you'll definitely know I was there. Except for the fact that I didn't post under my name! (look for foxoz :) )

I am so happy for you guys. Really over the moon.

Karen said...

Well..I am just giddy for you! Can not wait to read more.

MJ said...

Congrats on your new venture!!! I look forward to reading and visiting your new space and collaboration!!!

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...