Saturday, December 17, 2011

Fa la la, la la la, la la la.....



You know the opening scene in The Devil Wears Prada where the women are getting up, perfecting their make up and choosing their designer size 0 clothes??  That is the world my husband works in every day.  His corporate office resides on 5th Avenue in Manhattan.  He gets up every day and leaves his “normal” life of 2 sleeping kids, 2 sleeping dogs and 1 sleeping wife and goes to work in a world where fashion is all-important and all-encompassing.  
Ironically, he is the most un-fashion forward person I know!  He dresses up well, but his weekend “uniform” is a waffle knit long sleeve tee and jeans.  There is a part of me that feels badly that he leaves me in my pjs every morning and when he finally returns home (usually not before 8:30pm) I am back in my pjs!
When I venture into the city to meet up with him, I usually have a little mini-clothing crisis.  I never want to be the spouse that “has let herself go” or is “horribly out of date” with her clothing selections.  In my heart I know these things don’t matter, but in reality, or in the reality of 5th Avenue, it does.  
So I don my gay apparel and apply my makeup, and style my hair for the company Christmas Party....the first one I have ever attended.  This is an occasion I don’t want to miss. 


Rockefeller Center....A reserved skating rink....The tree....The hot cocoa....The twinkling lights....The music.   


I have been waiting for this for 9 years....just long enough for my girls to be old enough to enjoy it with me.
3:00 train.....here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...