Sunday, January 8, 2012

Homeschool Mother's Journal: Week of January 2

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

In my Home This Week:  We spent a great deal of time while Greg was off working around the house.  Many things were scratched off my to-do list like: steam cleaning the bathroom, cleaning our my closet and deep cleaning my bedroom.  Greg took apart our office desk and transformed the room into a reading nook.  This freed up space in our family room for more Lego creating and hopefully we will be able to move the piano in there now to give Grace a room with a door to play ‘till her heart’s content.  We took several trips to Goodwill with clothes, books and knick knacks.  The result is that our house is getting easier to pick up at the end of the day.  Things are finding a home and putting them away is possible.   Before we would pile things up.  Now we put things away.  It feels good...really good.
In my Home School This Week:  After our two week break for the holidays I am enjoying being back on a routine.  I think the girls are as well.  
History: We read Chapter 7 of SOTW.  In Chapter 6 we learned how similar Christianity is to Islam and in Chapter 7 we learned how different they are at the same time.
Math: Grace completed 20 pages in Key To Fractions Book 1.  This is mostly review right now but it solidifies her understanding before it gets more complicated.  Lilah has completed three lessons in her Horizons Textbook.  We have decided that Fridays will be “Business Math Fridays” and they will try to do as much as possible to finish up their simulation with the help of calculators!
Science: We began Apologia’s Zoology 1: Flying Creatures.  We learned how to classify animals, and reviewed binomial nomenclature.  We had high hopes for a bird walk sponsored by The Audubon but it did not match our expectations.   The independent pet store in town has ordered us a small bird feeder for our kitchen window.  That should be in next week and we are looking forward to picking it up and attracting some flying creatures to watch from the warmth of inside our home!
Writing:  Grace wrote a poem that was inspired by hand soap her Aunt gave her.  Lilah wrote 4 hand written pages of a story that she aspires to turn into a movie with her friends.  She is writing every day, sometimes until ten o’clock at night when I have to tell her to go to bed so she has energy to write some more the next day!  I hope she gives me permission to share it...hint...hint Lilah!

What We Are Reading:
Me:  I love both these books for different reasons obviously.  I will be doing posts about both in the near future...



















Lilah:













Grace:
















What I am Pondering:  “I do not know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.”  I read this in the epilogue of the Tim Tebow biography and it struck a chord with me.  As this new year begins with so much promise for those in my house, a member of my extended family is ending her three year battle with cancer.  She is only 45.  She is constantly on my mind.  What eases the pain of loss for me is knowing with certainty that this is not the end.  This is just the beginning.  We will see each other again in the future when we meet he who holds us in the palm of his hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...