Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Hopes and Dreams


I am not the kind of person who makes and keeps resolutions.  I feel like I am setting myself up to fail if I make unrealistic goals like: I will exercise 30 minutes every day or I will give up coffee.  Both those things are not happening in 2012.  Rather, I like to focus on what I have accomplished in the past year and build on those successes.  2011 was a very successful year for our family.  We:
  • improved our diets through the increased consumption of locally grown and sourced food and organics when feasible. 
  • mastered the art of the green smoothie and purchased a juicer.  Greg could seriously open his own juice bar.  His blends are that good.
  • maintained two plots at the Community Garden and created our very first back yard garden.
  • experienced successful vermiculture (worm composting)
  • created beautiful meals from our efforts and shared them with others.
  • traveled more than I had anticipated with two trips to Chicago, an overnight stay in Ohio, a long weekend in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, a week in Tennessee, a week in Cape Cod, a long weekend at the Marine Science Consortium in Virginia followed by two days in Washington, DC.  
  • day-tripped to New York City.
  • visited new museums, galleries, and ethnic restaurants.
  • reduced our television viewing to the point where we are debating canceling our cable subscription.
  • read more books than I thought possible and listened to some amazing audio books.
  • joined a coop where the children are learning in a nurturing environment.
  • learned new sports such as tennis for both girls and for Lilah...basketball!
  • joined a competitive problem solving team where the girls have fun while working with their friends on some pretty tough scenarios.  
  • saw the safe return of an Uncle from deployment to Afghanistan and a cousin from Iraq.

There are so many opportunities that are in store for us this year.  I realize that this year my girls will turn 10 and 12, which to me seems like a stone’s throw away from becoming teenagers.  I want to hold on to this time and live in the moment.  I want to spend time with them, learning alongside them, laughing with them, crying with them, holding their hand while they will still let me.  I want to stand on the sideline as they take their first steps away from me giving them a gently push when needed, or helping them to move out of their comfort zone and soothing them when something they had their heart set on does not work out quite the way they planned.  
This year I hope to continue to educate myself on matters that matter to me.  I want to explore the state we live in more thoroughly and through it learn its history and legends.  I want to read fabulous books, write fabulous words and create fabulous meals (to be accompanied by fabulous wine).  I want to embrace being 40 and finally, for the first time in a very long time, enjoy the feeling of being comfortable in my own skin.  I want to nurture my marriage and spend as much time together as possible talking and interacting and enjoying my best friend.   I want to celebrate our 15 years of marriage and 17 years of friendship.

This year I want my girls to enjoy one another yet find time and space away from each other as well.  Their unique interests may lead in completely different directions this year and I hope they grab each opportunity with both hands and hold on tightly.  I want them to continually build on their knowledge, applying what they have already learned to what they are just being introduced to.  I want them to take classes, go on trips, play with friends, compete, create, read, dream, imagine, explore, discover, ponder, debate, decipher, write, and wonder.
2011...I will remember you fondly.  
2012....I have big hopes for you.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...