Monday, April 9, 2012

Naturally Fun Parties for Kids


Lilah is an event planner in the making.  At her father’s holiday party I made a point of introducing her to the corporate event planner.  When I was her age, I had no idea of the careers that were waiting for me.  I make it a point to introduce the girls to the idea that there are many possibilities from jewelry makers, Etsy shop owners, naturopathic doctors, authors, screenwriters, and many more.  
Because I know that Lilah not only has an interest in event planning, but also a talent for it, our house is stocked with various party planning books.  These are the books she turns to at holidays, for inspiration with invitations, and especially for planning her birthday parties. 
Imagine my excitement when I was given the opportunity to review Naturally Fun Parties for Kids by Annie Daulter.  This book is a welcome addition to our collection.  Many of Lilah’s current books contain ingredients that I do not have in my pantry, such as food coloring, corn syrup and shortening.  This is the first book that merges her love of parties with my love of providing healthy food options and activities inspired by nature.
This weekend we colored Easter Eggs, like we do every year.  Unlike years past, this year I chose to try out the recipes for natural dyes rather than use the commercial dye pills we have used year after year.  Lilah and I enjoyed filling our stove top with pots filled with red cabbage, turmeric spice, blueberries, paprika, and beets.   We followed the recipe and simmered each for two hours.  Mason jars held our beautiful colors so they could be transported to our family’s house to be paired with 8 dozen eggs.




The next time I use these recipes, I will double the turmeric and paprika and simmer in 2 quarts of water.  When using 2 quarts of liquid there is enough to pour into small mason jars and share with a friend.  The blueberry, beet and cabbage made a lovely thank you gift for my friend. 
I found these colorings to be gorgeous.  The blue and purple (cabbage and blueberry) were my favorite.  Due to our time constraints, the eggs were left in the dye for approximately 10-15 minutes.  We did take home the blue dye with an egg and let it sit overnight.  The result was stunning.  





Naturally Fun Parties for Kids will become a book that we turn to often.  There are many recipes throughout the book that are not only healthy but appealing to young children.  The entire family can feel good about the crafts and food choices found on these pages.  
*Disclaimer: I was given a copy of this book by the publisher for review purposes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...