Saturday, June 23, 2012

Block Island, RI

Traveling with the Frog Creek Clan showed us what joy there is in making memories that bind families together strengthening the bond of friendship.  Before that, Greg and I  never traveled before where the experience was shared with friends.  

Thursday we had the opportunity to share some time with friends on Block Island.  I love these 9.734 square miles of New England.  Greg and I have visited before for the magical wedding of my best friend fifteen years ago....but have not been back since.  




This trip had many firsts for our family.  First time on a ferry.  First time inviting a friend to come along.  First time sleeping on an island.  First time walking the beach at night.  With so many firsts, the over night trip felt much longer and for the first time in a long time I was able to relax, completely at peace with my surroundings.



How could one not be at peace here?  I have never swam in water so clear and blue north of the Caribbean.   The girls swam and surfed for hours.  Greg and I scoured the beach for sea glass to add to the girls’ collections.   We bonded as a family.  With the hours that Greg puts into his career, our time together is sacred.  It has been far too long since we spontaneously journeyed somewhere unknown and discovered that we do not already know all there is to know about one another.



Our friends shared their precious family time (and beach umbrella) with us.  For that I am grateful. 




Our lives are similar in that both Dads commute to Manhattan daily, travel frequently, and do their best to keep on top of what is going on in their children’s busy lives. In addition to homeschooling her son, my friend is self-employed and works crazy hours when she is not giving lessons.  When they extended the invitation to come, I was a bit concerned with intruding on their sacred time.  However, I am so happy that we accepted.  Now our family’s memories of Block Island are intertwined with theirs.  That is pretty cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...