Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Summer 2012

When my girls were babies people would stop and remind me to enjoy every minute because it goes by so quickly.  Really?  I would reply?  Really? Because back then the days were long.  I loved having babies but the time between birthdays from year 1 to 2 or from 3 to 4 did not fly by.  


Now I wish I could go back for an extra hand hold, an I love you T-HI-S much, an incomprehensible sentence filled with babbling bits of love.  I am blessed that my girls still love simple rituals of childhood.  They still want to be tucked in each night with a kiss.  They will still let me read to them, albeit reluctantly.  They will hold my hand on occasion and hug me in public.   
Something happened between when they were babies and now.  I don't know if it happened to them, or to me.  Every year goes by faster and faster.  They grow and grow marching towards adulthood and I hope that I am wise enough to hold on to the moments in between now and then.  
To accept their outreached hand. 
To kiss their offered cheek.
 To tell them over and over the extent to which they are loved.
To hold tight with every hug.
To smile back when smiled upon.
To treat every moment as the gift it is.
For if this summer is any indication of things to come, in just the blink of an eye they will be all grown.  I don’t want to miss one second.  
Summer 2012, you were a good one.  You will live on in our mind’s eye.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...