Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Little Bit Witchy


The biggest piece of advice I can give for artist/writers who are exploring art journaling is to never feel like every piece of artwork needs to be original.  Us bloggers post on our blogs and Pinterest so that others will see what we do and gain inspiration from it.  I have some favorite artist blogs that I follow for inspiration.


Penny Lane Ink (not currently updating)
But my all time most used resource is Pinterest.  
I am not looking for a visually stunning piece of art.  I am looking for something that will connect with children, challenge their artistic abilities and provide a writing opportunity.  In my mind, I need to be able to see where I will put words, whether they are my own original thoughts, a collage or a poem or quote I plan to copy.  Young children require more space on the page to write!
I love this page from Art Projects for Kids.  To complete this page we used: Sharpie Markers, Oil Pastels, and watercolor paint.  The simple lines of the drawing create a visually interesting, yet easy to replicate page.  




I always end up saying this, but these are one of my favorites!


4 comments:

Karen said...

You know how much Keilee loved this. I am with you, I get so much inspiration from Pinterest. But mainly we get ideas and inspiration from YOU! Thank you Jess. :)

Frogcreek said...

Even though my kids don't seem to do much of the writing, they love doing the art/ creating part. Thank you so much for sharing your passion with my children! Happy Halloween!

Diane said...

Thanks so much for all the wonderful ideas. I currently teach an art journaling class 18 3rd-6th graders. My hardest task seems to be getting them to write on their page. They all have an intense aversion to writing. Any great ideas to combat this?
Blessings
Diane

Jessica said...

Diane,

I have a few questions. Are the 18 children all in the same class? Do you have them broken out by age/writing ability? I have found it to be difficult having children who want to write in the same group as those who do not. Sometimes they can inspire one another but if it is occurring week after week, it can be frustrating to the children who want to write.

When I began my group at home, I left it entirely up to the children if they wanted to write or not. The reluctant writers sometimes write, but for the most part they are still reluctant since there is no pressure for them to do it. I do not grade. I do not assign. It is just for fun and if the parents are ok with their child not writing, there is not much I can do. However, when I ran my class for a fee, I began the first day with the expectation that each child would write at least 3 sentences. When they had three, I gently encouraged them to expand and offered suggestions on how to elaborate based on what they had written.

For my younger students I have them dictate to me (or to an older child) what it is they want to write. I use index cards. The child then copies their own words onto the page. I always allow for invented spelling and never make corrections or edits to their page. If they want to edit, I offer white out to cover the marker.

Sometimes I have found that because the children see the page as a piece of art, they are afraid of making a mistake in their writing, or they feel that their penmanship must be perfect. Some children write in pencil and then trace it in marker. I try very hard to dispel the notion that a page should be perfect. Many times I make my own page with large loopy handwriting to show them that this is a place for experimentation as well as artwork. Not all pages come out the way they envision but that can be a springboard for a future page.

I really hope this helps. Feel free to email me at moments2teach@gmail.com.
Jessica

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...