Friday, October 19, 2012

Do Little Things with Great Love: Collage Friday

Sometimes things happen and you don’t know the reason.  Teenagers die. Loved ones fall ill.  There are complications from surgeries.  You desperately miss your friend who is so far away. Carefully planned schedules fall apart.  Pets almost pass on before their time.  You end up asking yourself why?  What else can possibly be piled on to an already overloaded mind and body?  I know I am not done.  I know there is more to come.  It is already on the schedule.

I also know that there is something to be learned from this.  What it is I am not sure.  I keep repeating the quote that God will not give me more than I can handle.  I also am continually reminded that my burdens are minimal compared to others and often I feel I have no reason to complain.  I don’t know scripture.  When I am in need I can not call a verse to mind to help me, so I look them up and I find peace in their words.
Isaiah 40:31 NIV
but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on the wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint
We all seem to want the same things more or less.  We want our children to be happy, healthy and safe.  We want a warm home to protect us and keep us warm.  We want our spouse to be by our side holding our hand in happiness and in sorrow.  We want our pets to live forever.  We want our children to learn and thrive and succeed.  We want good food to nourish us.  For those of us who are religious, we want God to guide us and give us fortitude.  We want our families to never know true suffering.  We want to appreciate our blessings and appreciate our gifts.
While this has been a stressful fall in so many ways, the lesson for me in this is to appreciate my blessings.

I have healthy, happy children.  We have a cozy home to call our own.  We have connected once again with people who bring joy into my life....their support has been a true gift.  Our dog, Daphne, is recovering from her near-death experience.  She taught us all what a gift life is and how it should never be taken for granted.  This week I have marveled at the courage of my children, as they have taken steps in pursuit of their dreams.  I have listened to music fill my house as the girls practice the piano and guitar.  I have watched my daughter beam with pride when she played a piece of music she spent hours composing.  We are back on track in our lessons and some quality work was completed this week.    For all this I am grateful.
When times make it hard to persevere, it can be challenging to put one foot in front of the other and walk on.  We are stronger than we think.  We can all do great things, or like Mother Theresa said, when we cannot do great things, we can all do little things with great love.

Homegrown Learners

17 comments:

Jessica said...

Testing....I removed Disqus from my site due to problems some of my followers were having since I removed the advertising portion of disqus in my settings. Please let me know if you experience any problems commenting now. My email is on the sidebar!

Mary Prather said...

Hi Jess -- wow, how timely it is for me to read your comment. We have had a very hard two weeks here. On our vacation Hal fell off a horse and was in the ER in Wyoming. It was a painful and slow trip home, and we realized that sometimes life can change in the blink of an eye. We came home to a sick dog (who is better now). Also, a very dear friend of ours has just found out there is a return of malignant melanoma and it doesn't look good at all. We can be so heavy hearted about life and just want to run and hide in a closet sometimes.

Your reminders and thoughts from Mother Theresa put me in a good place this morning, so thank you.

I'm so glad your sweet dog is better. I know that was scary.

Thanks for linking, my friend.

Theresa Bond said...

I've been back and forth with Disqus for the same reasons. I love that you can email responses, but there were too many issues with other things.

We seem to be in a similar position this fall. I am glad to hear that Daphne is okay and that you have your faith to guide you through. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have my faith. We have a third opinion ortho appointment today, and are hoping to be able to come to some sort of peace with some sort of decision.

Karen said...

Well I think, with a few changes, I could have written this post. First of all, I am so glad Daphne is doing better. Do you want to know something very strange? I also put a bible quote on my blog. It was between two...the one I put and the one you put. "God won't give us more than we can handle" is something my Mom ALWAYS said! Always! It has gotten me through a lot. I love that you see the blessings in your life. They are many! Hugs and Love Jess.

Winnie said...

When we were on our honeymoon, Greg fell waterskiing and did not let go of the bar. It ripped his thigh. The bruise was very similar to your husband's thigh. It took a very long time to heal. Thankfully he was still able to travel and make his way back to GA.

So many people that I know have experienced overwhelming emotional stress this fall. I am looking for the joy through the pain. Right now we have one family member with a big surgery looming and hopefully once we are past that things will be more calm. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers.

Jess

Jessica said...

I hope you hear a confirmation of what the other doctor told you. Worry over a decision like this can tear you up.

Jessica said...

(((Hugs))) right back at you! I have no right to complain really when I think of how gracefully you have handled this fall and all it has brought. I am praying so hard that things turn for you and your boss picks up the phone Monday with good news.

Frogcreek said...

There is usually a rainbow or a bright beams of sun after every storm. Always remember that! :>)

Homeschool said...

It has been a challenging fall. It is easy not to remember the blessings. You have to remember that you are very loved and this storm will blow over. You are surrounded by people with open arms who are there for you. I think it is important to take deep breaths and focus on what means most to you. There are just some things that are out of our control.

Jenn said...

This is beautiful. I truly believe that joy is a choice.
We can choose to be joyful and see our blessings, or...
be overcome by difficult circumstances.
As we prepare for yet another oncology visit for my dad this week,
I choose joy.
I'm glad to hear that your dog is better-
we've been thinking about you all.
Our Stinker is 14 years old this year, and well... she's like family to us!

Mary said...

So glad I can comment now! Cute pictures :)

Jessica said...

I am so sorry you could not before! I have to tweak a few things here so that I can get emails when people comment! Just popped over to your blog and am in awe of your snake!

Jessica said...

"I choose joy". I love that Jenn. It is so simple but so often overlooked in the day to day struggles that we sometimes go through. I am going to remember that, today I choose joy.

Thank you.

Jessica said...

Thanks! All I can do is focus on what matters, the three people I share my life with and those I love. The rest will fall into place.

Jessica said...

I'm waiting for that rainbow!!! Hopefully at the end will be a pile of sea glass!

Our Side of the Mountain said...

Oh, so glad your dog is OK! Our first hen died unexpectedly and suddenly just over a week ago. The kids spent 3 weeks turned eggs and watching the incubator to see her hatch. (The other chick didn't make it.) She was our first and only for a while. The kids were very upset. It's so hard losing a pet!

Winnie said...

I think anytime you are a caregiver and you bond with another living creature, the pain of loss is intense. I have never experienced the intensity of emotions I felt over the though of losing this animal. I have experienced grief before but this was a whole new kind of grief. I don't know if this experience will help me say goodbye when time does come, or if it will make it just that much harder! Regardless, this time with her is a gift and we are so grateful to the vets who helped her through this disease.

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...