Friday, November 2, 2012

A blessing and a curse...


Living along the coastline is both a blessing and a curse.  We are far enough away from the shore that the threat of coastal flooding is not a concern, but close enough that it impacts our friends, our church and our town resources.  People choose to live in harmony with nature, but sometimes Mother Nature has a way of throwing things out of balance......



Long Island sound is normally a protected waterway.  Waves are something we generally don’t see that often.  Grace wanted to be at the beach wall every possible moment.  This is normally the tranquil beach where we collect sea glass.  Sunday and Monday it was anything but tranquil.


Grace helped her friends fill sandbags.  This warms my heart.  She is not the type of person to walk by someone in need.  She has reached into her own coat pockets for change to give to homeless people in New Haven.  She gives her energy every week to care for our next-door neighbor by removing his trash.  She has packed care packages for family when they were stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan.  She cleans up the neighborhood every Halloween, erasing the mischief done on mischief night.  She organizes beach clean ups and participates in food drives.    There was no way she would walk by her friends with a casual “be safe”.  Not this girl.  She helps to do her part to ensure their safety.  

Our beach area was under mandatory evacuations beginning Sunday night.  Anyone living south of I95 was mandated to leave their home for safer ground.  We are just out of that zone and we choose to stay.  We had our supplies, our food, our water, our gas, our firewood and our cell phones.  For a while we even thought we would keep our electricity.  That was a nice thought.......


8 comments:

  1. How are you now, Jess? I've been praying for you everyone -- and thinking about you and your family so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are hanging in there. Still no power and there have been no crews in our neighborhood. I would be lying if I said this was easy but I count my blessings. We have a wood stove insert that keeps us warm and we have a generator which gives us some light and the ability to use a electric burner. Today I am hoping to get to my sisters for a hot shower and some real food.

      Delete
  2. This brings back such memories of Hurricane Glory back in 1985. We lived right on the water in East Haven. Due to our back yard (or front yard depending on how you look at it) being Long Island Sound we were required to evacuate. It was that storm that made my parents finally decide it was time to move in-land (though the three beach kids they would be relocating were not totally keen on leaving our beloved beach behind). So glad that you made it through and are back online and so glad that ya'll were able to help with the hurricane preparations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shel, we are still without power but having the generator gives me moments of wifi. This is getting harder as it gets colder and the days are dark and gray. We will be fine but I worry about the elderly who are cold and not eating properly. We have been caring for my neighbors but so many others are alone.

      Delete
  3. Jess, I am so sorry that you are still with out power. It gets really hard and lonely. I have said it once and I will say it again, If you need anything- showers, a playdate with movies and baking, laundry, hot tea and wifi. Please come, our house is always open to you. No need to go it alone! Hoping your power is restored today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too although it looks unlikely. The great thing is that we aren't alone. Our neighbors have been making us coffee every morning. I have visited with my parents. We had the trunk or treat. My brother and sister came. We made it to history class. When things are tough it brings out the best in people. It means so much to me that you are there for us. We will take you up on laundry and company if we are heading into next week with no electricity!

      Delete
  4. Jess you are in our prayers too. I am loving Grace's heart and all she does. These are beautiful pictures. I have still not heard from Theresa. Do you have any estimated time for power?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are telling us Monday or Tuesday. We'll see......we are a low priority. We are not waterfront, we have no wires hanging, there is a small group of homes out and we are not near a major intersection. I have a feeling we will be one of the last in our town to get power. We are fine. Inconvenienced, but fine. I am truly worried for the elderly that will be cold this weekend. It is supposed to be in the 40s.......

      Grace is a special child whose heart truly goes out to those in need. She and Keilee would get along so well. I truly hope we will meet this year when we are back in TN!

      Delete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...